Notification for new posts in a forum?

Questions and discussion regarding the IT behind caves.org

Moderators: vtdarrell, Moderators

Postby b@t » Oct 11, 2007 11:18 pm

Hi - I'm new to this forum. Is there a way to set up a notification for a forum, so that if there is a new post to a forum a notification is sent to my registered email. It looks like I can set it up so that I am notified if a reply is posted to a specific post that I have submitted, but this is a more generic request.

Thanks
d.b
b@t
Infrequent Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Oct 12, 2007 6:46 am

Yes there is. Go to your Profile ("Your Profile" text link above) and then click Yes on "Notify on new Private Message".
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Phil Winkler » Oct 12, 2007 9:32 am

I think the question was for notification when a forum is posted to rather then one of his/her postings. There doesn't appear to be anything like that in the Profile settings on this or any other board I've ever seen.

Easiest method I've found is to click on View Posts Since Last Visit at the top right of the forums.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby b@t » Oct 12, 2007 9:33 am

Wayne - Thanks for replying. I don't think this is exactly what I was looking for. This seems to only apply to private messages. I've seen a feature on other forums (like geocaching.com for instance) that allows a member to subscribe to a forum, and any posts to that forum results in a notification being sent to the subscribed member.

Kinda like the 'checkbox' feature here that is available wen you reply to a post or post ---- Notify me when a reply is posted ------- (on the Post a reply page).

Thanks
d.b
b@t
Infrequent Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Oct 12, 2007 1:58 pm

Ah. Then click on the "Watch this topic for replies" text link at the bottom left of any discussion you want to be notified about.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby b@t » Oct 12, 2007 9:50 pm

That's great! I didn't notice that link before. One last followup.

Is there a way to subscribe to a forum rather than to a topic, so that I'm sent a notification if there is a new topic posted in that forum?

d.b
b@t
Infrequent Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Oct 13, 2007 8:44 am

Sorry, I don't believe there is a way to subscribe to a forum. Just individual discussions.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Wayne Harrison wrote:Sorry, I don't believe there is a way to subscribe to a forum. Just individual discussions.

Old topic, new info. :grin: I was just asked about this, so I thought folks might find the updated information useful.

With the new forum software we upgraded to a couple of years ago, members can now subscribe to entire forums or individual topics. It's easy!

See this topic
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to IT Forum