1% Rule

Questions and discussion regarding the IT behind caves.org

Moderators: vtdarrell, Moderators

1% Rule

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 20, 2006 6:51 am

"It's an emerging rule of thumb that suggests that if you get a group of 100 people online then one will create content, 10 will "interact" with it (commenting or offering improvements) and the other 89 will just view it." LINK

Seems about right for Cavechat. The list of who's online usually shows about 10% of viewers are registered and the rest are guessts. And most registered users don't post. Interesting. I guess Cavechat is pretty normal.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: 1% Rule

Postby mgmills » Jul 22, 2006 9:19 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Seems about right for Cavechat. The list of who's online usually shows about 10% of viewers are registered and the rest are guessts. And most registered users don't post. Interesting. I guess Cavechat is pretty normal.

Wow, that is really scary . . . cavers falling into a "normal" category :tonguecheek:
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jul 23, 2006 10:36 am

The same hold for talk radio. As I understand it, if you have a listenership of 100,000 people at any given moment, only one will actually pick up the phone and call( at any given moment).

I've found this fairly scary especially with consumer/personal finance talk shows. If only one in 100,000 call in with $80k in credit card debt, then how many others are out there that dont pick up the phone and call for help? :shock:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jul 23, 2006 4:31 pm

This can actually work to your advantage if you call the media to complain. In TV it's said that 1 phone call represents 10,000 people -- meaning if that person is upset over something, anthother 9,999 people were upset too, but didn't bother to call. It gives the caller a lot of clout.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Return to IT Forum