Preview not working for some

Questions and discussion regarding the IT behind caves.org

Moderators: vtdarrell, Moderators

Preview not working for some

Postby Wayne Harrison » May 8, 2006 12:34 pm

I've been told by several people that the "preview" button doesn't work for them. However it works for others (including me) so I'm wondering if it's either the ISP or security settings in browsers. Since I know AOL users have trouble staying logged in because of a problem with the way AOL handles IP addresses.

AOL does not use a single static IP address. So as you are logged in, your address could change. The problem is that the bulletin board (and other programs on the internet) are designed so that hackers could not emulate a user’s session and post Spam, etc. on the board.) This is checked by the IP address. Since AOL rotates addresses during a logged in session, there is no way to check if it is the actual user who signed in or a hacker.

You can read (if you are really interested) the entire technical explanation at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... ht=invalid

So, first I'd like to hear from people who can't get the preview button to work. Please post whether you are using AOL and what browser you are using. I'd also like to make sure everyone that has the problem has automatic spellcheck turned OFF (in your profile). That will help me start to narrow down who is affected by this.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby graveleye » May 8, 2006 5:21 pm

Hey Wayne,
I'm one that was having problems with the preview feature, but I turned spell check OFF and it works now. Go figure! Thanks though, its working!

Oh... I'm using Firefox with XP for the record.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Wayne Harrison » May 8, 2006 5:34 pm

The automatic spellcheck sends TWO requests back-to-back and that causes problems with the forum software. Even though you turn it off, you can still use it (using the Spell Check button below the box you type your post in). It just doesn't do it automatically.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hank moon » May 8, 2006 5:47 pm

graveleye wrote:Hey Wayne,
I'm one that was having problems with the preview feature, but I turned spell check OFF and it works now. Go figure! Thanks though, its working!

Oh... I'm using Firefox with XP for the record.

Just turned off the spell checker (didn't know it was there...) and presto! it works. Thanks, graveleye and Wayne. BTW I'm using IE 6.something and XP.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » May 8, 2006 5:54 pm

Added this fix to the <a href="http://www.caves.org/phpBB2/faq.php">FAQ</a> (button above under Cavechat.org).
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to IT Forum