Acronyms and abbreviations for FAQ forum

Questions and discussion regarding the IT behind caves.org

Moderators: vtdarrell, Moderators

Acronyms and abbreviations for FAQ forum

Postby pub » May 15, 2011 7:05 pm

This topic was branched from Re: Member input needed for FAQ forum where LWMM posted:

LWMM wrote:How about a list of commonly used acronyms and abbreviations? TAG, QAS, etc.
Great suggestion LWMM. I understand why experienced posters use Acronyms & Abbreviations (A&A) when posting but in some topics the A&A are not defined and I'm sure beginners or new cavechatters get lost.

David Grimes wrote:We are seeking any volunteers to write some of these articles.
While waiting for volunteers to write compile the A&A list, we can begin providing information for the Member input needed for FAQ forum topic. Examples with diagrams or links would be very helpful.

I’ll start with these:

OP - Original Post/Poster denotes the first post or poster that starts a forum topic/thread.

WxPy – x is the number of Wraps/loops around an anchor (tree/rock) and y is the number of loops Pulled as attachment point. Usually done with webbing but will work for rope too.
Examples: W3P2 (Wrap 3 loops, Pull 2 loops) or W2P1 (Wrap 2, Pull 1).
Diagram:

T3WPTandem 3-Wrap Prusik. Two Prusiks rigged in series used mostly in rescues on the main haul and belay lines.
Diagram:

HMS – abbreviation for the German term Halbmastwurfsicherung, meaning “half (Halb) clove hitch (Mastwurf) belay (Sicherung)” or the Munter Hitch, a.k.a Italian Hitch. This technique can be used with a special "pear-shaped" HMS locking carabiner, or any locking carabiner wide enough to take two turns of the rope. -Wiki
Diagram:

Notes:
1. Permission was obtained to use diagrams from the NCRC Instructor’s Guide (2007).
2. The OP will be edited to include A&A subsequently posted.
Last edited by pub on May 16, 2011 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Re: Acronyms and abbreviations for FAQ forum

Postby self-deleted_user » May 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Looking for this type of thing? These were terms and things I had to look up when I started. I still have to look things up hahaha. Funnily enough, 'biner confused me most haha so I included it.

QAS: Quick Attach Safety

'biner: shorthand for carabiner

HMS: pear shaped carabiner for Munter Hitches I think it stands for some fancy long German word?

SRT: Single Rope Technique

Frog: An ascension system that works by a sit-stand motion
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LWMM » May 16, 2011 12:04 am

Thanks for getting this started. Sungura, HMS stands for Halbmastwurfsicherung, which translates out to half (halb) clove/munter hitch (mastwurf) belay (sicherung). Or so the internet tells me.

And just for fun: http://www.forvo.com/word/halbmastwurfsicherung/
LWMM
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63001

Postby pub » May 16, 2011 2:32 am

Thanks Sungura & LWMM. HMS has been added to OP. :waving:
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Return to IT Forum