Questions and discussion regarding the IT behind caves.org

Moderators: vtdarrell, Moderators

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Hey....I always when I update my avatar have to make one *just* for here because the settings are so harsh...7 kb max, 125 x 125px max. Most forums I'm on are 123 x 150 px, or 150 x 150px and I've never hit a kb limit so I'm assuming it's about 15kb or so. Anyway to allow a bit more leeway with them? "no one" is on 56k anymore and I can't see how 7 vs 15 kb is that big an issue. 150 px width because this is prosilver will not increase the right userinfo panel size at all - the text below is always wider even the various titles are! so it's not like it will actually take up any more space either. 150 px hight, well, if you post more than one line, 150 vs 125 isn't gonna make much difference. But having a bit higher max for the image dimentions and quality allow a cleaner nicer looking avatar, and I like seeing people's avatars! Especially if they use their face - makes them easier to recognize shall I meet them in person! (Yes, I have meet forum people IRL before, and gone "OH HEY you are userxyz! Hi!")

Thanks! :)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: avatar sizes

Postby David Grimes » Mar 26, 2011 9:41 pm

The avatar sizes have been the same since before I took over as administrator, I assume the current settings were a result of low storage space on the server. When I took over as administrator Cavechat was very near out of storage space on the NSS Server, luckily the NSS changed servers which now gives us much more space. Like I said the size limit was probably set to conserve the most space possible. I personally have had some trouble resizing avatars to fit the requirements but never to the point that it really bugged me. I will look into changing the board settings, I know most forums allow 150x150px avatars I believe that is about the norm. I will let you know what we decide.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Return to IT Forum