New posting feature

Questions and discussion regarding the IT behind caves.org

Moderators: vtdarrell, Moderators

New posting feature

Postby tncaver » Jun 16, 2010 6:38 pm

I just now noticed that we have a new feature for posters to Cavechat. We now have the ability to delete our post in it's entirety
rather than just editing a post. I welcome that feature. Many times I have posted to another caving forum only to delete my
entire post (probably to everyone's joy) after rethinking what I said. Providing this function, allows the poster to reconsider
what has been said and delete if so desired. Not a bad idea.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: New posting feature

Postby NZcaver » Jun 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Note the last sentence:

How do I edit or delete a post?
Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic which lists the number of times you edited it along with the date and time. This will only appear if someone has made a reply; it will not appear if a moderator or administrator edited the post, though they may leave a note as to why they’ve edited the post at their own discretion. Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.

From PHPBB frequently asked questions
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby tncaver » Jun 16, 2010 7:34 pm

Ah. We can only delete until a response has been made. Still a good idea even if it isn't new. It was the first time I noticed it.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Jun 16, 2010 8:42 pm

That was actually an addition when the forum switched to the PHPBB 3.0 software and like noted it only works if there have been no responses.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby trogman » Jun 17, 2010 7:10 am

If you can edit a post even after a reply has been posted, then in reality it seems to me that you could delete it. In other words, you could edit it until there was nothing left of it, couldn't you? Not that I would ever want to, but it might come in handy some day. :grin:
I try to always consider very carefully what I have written before I hit the "Submit" button, and ask myself if that is really what I want to say. I also try to determine how my post will be perceived by others who are reading it, particularly the people who I am responding to. Not saying that I never look back and regret saying what I did, but I certainly try to minimize that occurrence. I also usually run my posts through a spell check, so I can catch those really bad misspelled words that can be rather embarrassing.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jun 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Trogman,

You are quite correct. Any member can edit their own posts and remove all of the text. Recent case in point - a multi page polite, intelligent discussion with several contributors. Later, two of the posters decide to remove their posts for personal reasons. So reading back through the topic we see about a dozen blank posts mixed in. In some situations like that one, moderators choose to delete the blank posts because they serve no purpose. Occasionally a person will even request that we delete their blank posts.

Like you I spend time thinking about what I'm writing, and spell-check and proof-read before posting. But this does take time, and not everybody plays the same way. Which is fine. I gave up trying to be the spelling and grammar police long ago. Not that I'm perfect, either. Well, mostly. :shhh:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to IT Forum