1960's NSS news with Bloodspot Pit on the cover

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

1960's NSS news with Bloodspot Pit on the cover

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 21, 2010 8:47 am

Does anyone have a copy of the 1960's ish nss news with the photo of Bloodspot pit on the cover? Its a local 120' pit that is now filled to the top with tires, sheet metal, wire, fence posts, lawn mowers, furniture and anything else you can think of. I would like to see what the place looked like before it was filled in.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: 1960's NSS news with Bloodspot Pit on the cover

Postby Chuck Porter » Apr 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Here you go, from the Feb 1974 NSS News.
Caption says "An inspiring view of the upper 30-40 feet of 122 foot Bloodspot Pit, St Genevieve, Mo. Photo by Roy Gold NSS 7440"

Looks like a nice one. We cleaned out Baugh Cave, a similar deep pit filled to above the surface with trash here in NY.

Chuck
Chuck Porter
Occasional Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Apr 12, 2010 6:34 pm

Wow thanks. I think I am going to go cry now. That looks like a large shaft and i have no doubt that it is completely filled with garbage, unless there is a smaller choke point in the drop where a large tire could have possibly plugged it...............man.........
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby STLCaver » Apr 14, 2010 6:54 pm

Hey Chad, Roy (the guy who took the picture) is still active in Southern Mo. He is in Springfield Platue Grotto. Funny story, at a Onondaga clean up, my daughter and I where busy bagging trash and talking, the subject of Bloodspot got brought up. I was talking about how it was on the cover of the News in the 60's and this guy across the way goes "yeah, I took that picture". It was Roy. We had a nice time talking about it for the rest of the clean up. :grin:
STLCaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Tony Schmitt
NSS #: 36269 RL-FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG-CRF

Postby Chads93GT » Apr 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Dang, do you know his email??? Kris and I know the land owner really well we just dont know where to start digging, lol! If you ever make it down i'll show it to you. Its depressing.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Publications