I got a new book

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

I got a new book

Postby wendy » Jan 25, 2006 2:40 pm

Ok well it isn't a new book, its an old book I got off ebay. Its called Exploring American Caves: Their history, geology, Lore and Locations: A Spelunkers Guide. It was published in in 1956 and 1962. Just thumbing threw it it looks intersting. It has a list of NSS grottos in the back with contact info and the cave location section is by state and lists caves that are open to the public. I'd be curious to see if some of them are still open.

If anyone is interested in borrowing it once I am finished reading it, let me know.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Phil Winkler » Jan 25, 2006 2:48 pm

Wendy, I remember reading that. A friend of mine named Chuck Pease collected cave books for many years. I referred to him as a speleobibliophile. :)

Are you one, too? I have a bunch of older books to get rid of including a copy of Karst autographed by Joe Jennings at the 1981 ICS/NSS convetnion in Bowling Green.

Hmm..maybe I should list them all on eBay?
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby wendy » Jan 25, 2006 3:05 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:Wendy, I remember reading that. A friend of mine named Chuck Pease collected cave books for many years. I referred to him as a speleobibliophile. :)

Are you one, too? I have a bunch of older books to get rid of including a copy of Karst autographed by Joe Jennings at the 1981 ICS/NSS convetnion in Bowling Green.

I'm on evening shift at work right now and needed something to read when its slow. Plus I thought it was interesting with the cave locations in it. But usually I don't collect old books, just books that peak my interest.

I just read thru the introduction of the book I bought and it seems that this guy had NSS members edit the book, as well as quoting old articles from NSS News in the 50's.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby hewhocaves » Jan 26, 2006 12:57 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:Wendy, I remember reading that. A friend of mine named Chuck Pease collected cave books for many years. I referred to him as a speleobibliophile. :)

No Phil, you should give me all your old caving books.

*waves hand* giiivee John your books... Giiive John books.....

seriously, if you want to unload some of them, let me know what you have and I'll toss them into my collection. Especailly if they're older books dealing with exploration, history or speleology. I've already got a bookcase filled with those, but am always looking for more. Paul Steward would be interested in cave fiction.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Re: I got a new book

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 26, 2006 1:06 pm

wendy wrote:Ok well it isn't a new book, its an old book I got off ebay. Its called Exploring American Caves: Their history, geology, Lore and Locations: A Spelunkers Guide. It was published in in 1956 and 1962. Just thumbing threw it it looks intersting. It has a list of NSS grottos in the back with contact info and the cave location section is by state and lists caves that are open to the public. I'd be curious to see if some of them are still open.

If anyone is interested in borrowing it once I am finished reading it, let me know.
That was one of the about three books on caving when I started in the early 70s.

Back then, they had a grotto listed in my home town that had really gone belly up years before. Somewhere I found an address for the NSS in Washington, DC! I don't know *how* I finally found 'em in Huntsville. But it's a life long ago before the internet! :banana:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Phil Winkler » Jan 26, 2006 1:23 pm

*waves hand* giiivee John your books... Giiive John books.....

That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine has too much of something and is saying "Stellllaaaa" over and over. Like Brando.

Ok.. email me details like name & address and expect a care package soon.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby hewhocaves » Jan 27, 2006 6:03 pm

I was shooting more for "Ben Kenobi" in Star Wars, but sure, that works too.

Anyways, thank you very much! Let me know what shipping is and I'll pay you back :)

John
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Return to Publications