Latest Member's Manual Publication Date?

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Latest Member's Manual Publication Date?

Postby sawbatch » Jun 24, 2009 10:13 am

The last Members Manual I received was last year about this time when I joined the NSS. I'm fairly certain it has 2007 on the cover. I've since renewed my membership (on time). Should I have already received or be expecting a later edition?
sawbatch
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 60167
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville

Re: Latest Member's Manual Publication Date?

Postby mgmills » Jun 24, 2009 10:25 am

sawbatch wrote:The last Members Manual I received was last year about this time when I joined the NSS. I'm fairly certain it has 2007 on the cover. I've since renewed my membership (on time). Should I have already received or be expecting a later edition?

The latest Members Manual that I have has June 2008 printed on the cover and on page 69 where the member listings start it states the data was obtained from the NSS records on May 21, 2008.

I believe I read some where that "the NSS" was considering changing the publication date to later in the summer so that the "newly elected" directors would be listed instead of listing directors who would be leaving office at the NSS convention which is usually in July.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Wm Shrewsbury » Jun 24, 2009 11:15 am

Correct Martha! This was on the April agenda:
---------------------------------------
17) Amendment to Act 84-324 Members Manual Committee
Shrewsbury moved: Act 84-324 is amended as follows;

84-324 Members Manual Committee
The annual Members Manual shall include the membership list and may include other materials of interest to the membership such as descriptions of services, committee functions or activities, annual reports from the officers or important committees, or other similar material. The Members Manual Committee is transferred to the Executive Vice President’s Department and shall be responsible for providing all editorial material for the Manual other than the membership list. The Manual shall be published annually approximately two months after the annual NSS Convention. Funds for the publication of the Manual shall be budgeted in the fiscal year corresponding to the intended publication date.
----------------------------------------
After some minor discussion a vote was taken and passed unanimously with only Bill Liebman abstaining.

The main purpose of moving the date was two fold.
1) Our membership changes their personal address, phone, etc. at the same rate as most American's do - about 10% changes per year. Thus, no matter when you pull the data over the course of a year up to 10% of the data could be incorrect (phone, email, address)
2) We seat the new Directors at Convention each year, along with the election of our Executive Committee officers. This is also when (if applicable) the new President takes office. It is also the traditional time when many I/O's, Sections, etc. elect their new officers. Many people have expressed how they attempted to contact the "Chair of xxx" or a BOG member and have had to be passed off to someone else. By printing the MM after our annual Convention we should have the "business section" more up to date than it could be otherwise.

Look for the MM to be published ~2 months after Convention this year - for once it will contain a correct list of who-is-what!

Wm Shrewsbury
NSS-OVP
Cave Softly and Carry a Long Rope - TAG!

Wm Shrewsbury
:bat sticker:
Wm Shrewsbury
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Wm Shrewsbury
NSS #: 22677RL, FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Postby JackW » Nov 21, 2009 9:38 am

So has the 2009 members manual been published and shipped? It is well past two months after convention. Just curious.
JackW
Prolific Poster

Name: Jack Wood
NSS #: 42272
Primary Grotto Affiliation: FRG

Postby Wm Shrewsbury » Nov 21, 2009 9:44 am

The weekly report from the office said that they sent the electronic mailing list off to the mailing house for the MM. It is scheduled to ship early next week.

Wm Shrewsbury
NSS-OVP
Cave Softly and Carry a Long Rope - TAG!

Wm Shrewsbury
:bat sticker:
Wm Shrewsbury
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Wm Shrewsbury
NSS #: 22677RL, FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Return to Publications