Roger Brucker's new book about Stephen Bishop

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Roger Brucker's new book about Stephen Bishop

Postby FredCaver » May 22, 2009 11:43 am

Roger Brucker's newest book, GRAND, GLOOMY, AND PECULIAR: STEPHEN BISHOP AT MAMMOTH CAVE, is scheduled to be released by Cave Books on October 1, 2009. It will be Roger's fifth book, and his first novel. It is based on the story of Stephen Bishop, the slave who became famous for guiding tourists in Mammoth Cave in the 1840s and 50s, and was responsible for many early discoveries. I have read an advance copy, and it's terrific. Combining history, adventure and romance, it is stylistically unlike anything Roger has written before, and will surprise many of his fans.
FredCaver
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 19853

Re: Roger Brucker's new book about Stephen Bishop

Postby Crockett » May 22, 2009 12:30 pm

A while back Roger led a small group into Mammoth Cave and gave selected readings from this book at selected locations in the cave. It was a memorable experience. Here is a link to a photo of Roger on the cave guide pedestal next to the ticket center as he prepares the group for the trip:

http://tiny.cc/xLhEQ

I got to carry his cave pack for a while...but otherwise I was not worthy. Buy the book if you can. It will be a great read.
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby Wm Shrewsbury » May 22, 2009 1:00 pm

I don't know what Roger included in the way of pictures, however Bonnie Curnock did an EXCELLENT drawing of Stephen Bishop 9 years ago. It was so wonderful that I (somehow) managed to talk her into selling it to me to give to my wife, Carolina (she started both SpeleoArt and the NSS Fine Arts Salon) as a wedding gift. I have seen many photos, but her artwork drawing is by far the best I have ever seen of this wonderful pioneer.

While the drawing is large (about poster size) she had it scanned a few years ago and thus has a digital image of it that she also sells prints from. You can get her info from the MM (she lives in Arkansas).

Wm Shrewsbury
Husband of the Proud Owner of the Stephen Bishop portrait...
Cave Softly and Carry a Long Rope - TAG!

Wm Shrewsbury
:bat sticker:
Wm Shrewsbury
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Wm Shrewsbury
NSS #: 22677RL, FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Postby Bill Steele » Jul 12, 2009 8:06 am

I've read the manuscript. Roger invited me to when I was caving at MCNP a year a year and a half ago. Recently he invited me to provide a quote for the back cover. I can't wait to read it again in its published form. It's written from Stephen's wife Charlotte's point of view, married to a fellow slave, and owned by the owner of Mammoth Cave. I've seen his signature on the wall in Mammoth, and I was glad that I didn't get to that place with a lantern in my hand.
Bill Steele
Infrequent Poster

Name: C. William [Bill] Steele
NSS #: 8072
Primary Grotto Affiliation: DFW Grotto

Return to Publications