May NEWS Foul?

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: May NEWS Foul?

Postby caverdan » May 10, 2009 12:13 pm

cavepyranha wrote:During NSSCON, Alabama, I visited the current office. I don't mean this to offend anyone, but I was seriously in shock. I had envisioned a beautiful building in a nice part of town, but was met head on with this sad run down thing in the middle of a very scary looking neighborhood. I am sad to say the site left me with no feelings of pride, I was elated when the idea to move the NSS idea was pitched. I was disappointed that AL proposes to stay in same neighborhood (nice looking building).

Welcome to the forum, cavepyranha. I visited the Huntsville office during the 05 convention and didn't think the neighborhood was in bad shape or run down at all. I found it quaint and rather fitting of Southern hospitality.....as I envision it. The cave next door to it makes it a perfect location. I sure didn't get the feeling it was a "bad" neighborhood......but it wasn't in the middle of the business district either.......nor downtown. My visit was one of very few vacations I've had West of the Mississippi. My Idea of a "bad" neighborhood might not be the same as someone who lives down there. :shrug: It's hard to compare the West and the East sometimes. :big grin: Are there any rentals in the immediate area??....or do most people own their own homes around the office? Are there apartment buildings close by that bring in riff raff and seedy characters? :yikes:

I visited Horse cave last fall and I think there are some great opportunities for the NSS to make money and create outreach to the general public there. It would be a big step for an all volunteer organization to take without a large volunteer group to fall back on and help run the place. The NSS would have to pay someone to take the helm and make it into a money making venture with a bookstore, museum, art gallery, movie theater, public educational place for the general public to visit. It's definantly doable with the right person in charge.....but who is that person or persons?

I'm still in the camp that feels the office and library should stay in Huntsville......but the NSS should set up shop in Horse Cave as a secondary venture. It's called having your cake and eating it too.

Bill Putnum wrote:it is difficult for me to reconcile your remarks here with some of your remarks elsewhere in this forum.

Your confusing me Bill. It appears the above post is cavepyranha's first post to this forum. What remarks are you referring to that are found elsewhere in this forum? :shrug:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Bill Putnam » May 10, 2009 1:55 pm

caverdan wrote:Your confusing me Bill. It appears the above post is cavepyranha's first post to this forum. What remarks are you referring to that are found elsewhere in this forum?

Cavepyranha is not a new member - just an old one using a new login name. Again.
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby Phil Winkler » May 10, 2009 2:08 pm

I was a little incredulous when reading the post above:
I had envisioned a beautiful building in a nice part of town, but was met head on with this sad run-down thing in the middle of a very scary looking neighborhood.

But then I realized that someone probably took her through the White House next door where we store books, etc. I don't know who played that joke on her, but it certainly worked. Now, the house next door belongs to Bill Torode and it is hardly scary. None of the other houses on the block or around the area are scary either.

After all, to call our present Office/Library run down simply defies logic. It's a concrete block and brick building and has been maintained properly the whole time we've owned it. The current Office was built in 1983 and is in excellent condition. I used to live in the same neighborhood as do/did many other cavers. It's a perfectly fine part of Huntsville.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Bill Putnam » May 10, 2009 2:32 pm

NSS director and Kentucky office proposal co-author Mark Joop told me recently that the office is located "in a crack neighborhood." It turned out that he has never actually been there, and has never even seen it. I don't know who told him that, or how he got that ridiculous impression, but he apparently believed it. I have been there many times and I disagree. Mercury and Gemini astronaut and fallen American Hero Gus Grissom would be horrified (the office is across the street from Gus Grissom Drive) to hear such an accusation. Does this look like a "crack neighborhood" to you? Click "street view" and have a look around.

Mark also told me that, in his opinion, Huntsville is "too remote" and "too hard to get to." This despite the presence of Interstates I-65 and I-565 and Huntsville International Airport. I still do not understand that viewpoint. It's at least as easy to get to as Horse Cave and Bloomington.
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby shibumi » May 12, 2009 7:49 am

Bill Putnam wrote: Mercury and Gemini astronaut and fallen American Hero Gus Grissom would be horrified

Now there's some irony! The Bloomington location would only be a few miles away from Gus
Grissom's hometown and newly renovated state park memorial! I know he explored caves as a kid
and suspect he would have been delighted to see the NSS headquarters so close to his hometown ;)
http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/inns/springmill/

<grin>
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » May 12, 2009 12:32 pm

Having finished reading the article in question last night, I have to say that it's obvious that the writer's intent from start to finish was to lobby for the Horse Cave proposal. Yes, it delved into the background and the history of the the town and the ACCA, but that was all groundwork for the underlying theme of the article. That having been said, the author did make a good case, and brought up some very good reasons for making such a move. I am looking forward to similar articles about the other 2 cities. While I live in AL, and I am somewhat in favor of keeping the HQ in H'ville, I have to say that what I want is the best all-around solution that benefits the NSS and the membership the most. I would hope that's what we all want. I would like for the BOG, (the current members, as well as whoever wins this election), to make their decision based solely on what's best for the Society, and not based on regional alliances or personal preferences.

Stephen Brewer (The Trogman) :helmet:
(Edited to clarify meaning)
Last edited by trogman on May 19, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

May NEWS Foul?

Postby Gordon Birkhimer » May 19, 2009 7:38 am

No foul going on, just free press. I have invited Jay Clark and Chuck Lundquist for the Huntsville, AL proposal, and Don Paquette for the Buckner Cave, IN proposal to write articles for the News if they desire. Everyone has the same tools to use in the selection process and the News is one of them. We are six months away from the selection so there is plenty of time and I urge those parties to write something and get it in for publication. I will take this opportunity to announce the NSS Headquarters Open Forum right after the COG at the ICS in Texas for Tuesday afternoon July 21st from 3:00 until 5:00 PM. Representatives for each proposal will be present and past president Bill Tozer will moderate the event. And, I urge all Directors and Officers to make the effort to visit all three proposed locations before the selection is made.
:bat sticker:
Gordon
Gordon Birkhimer
Infrequent Poster

Name: Gordon Birkhimer
NSS #: 42778
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Bubble Cave

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Bump. Lest we forget some of the earlier commentary.

I particularly enjoy the discussion of Dave Foster's article in the News about the ACCA.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby wyandottecaver » Apr 18, 2011 5:08 pm

o.k. im confused. the purpose here was what?
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Publications