February 2009 NSS NEWS

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

February 2009 NSS NEWS

Postby tncaver » Feb 8, 2009 11:45 am

What a pleasant surprise to see feature articles about caving in the USA in the latest NSS News. A special
treat was the article about caving in Tennessee. Tennessee has the most documented caves in the US, but perhaps
produces the fewest articles about caving. Many times that is due to a need for secrecy to prevent scoopage. However,
our caving transplants from the Great North are lighting the way when it comes to providing interesting articles
about caving in Tennessee. Of course that article was presented AFTER the cave was surveyed and the map drawn up.
Smart. My caving hat is off to Peter Michaud and the Sewanee Mountain Grotto. Perhaps we will get to read more feature
articles about caving in the US (especially Tennessee) in the near future. I know there are plenty of discoveries still
being made.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: February 2009 NSS NEWS

Postby Caver06 » Feb 8, 2009 6:54 pm

I also thought the features on US caves in the latest issue was a nice surprise. Further, I really enjoyed the Members' Gallery. Great issue overall.
v/r,
The Wicked Witch of the West (who promises no more off-the-cuff negative posts)
Caver06
Infrequent Poster

Name: Suzanna Langowski
NSS #: 45394
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 9, 2009 5:25 pm

"...The Wicked Witch of the West (who promises no more off-the-cuff negative posts)"

That's good. I hate when people muscle in on my territory :big grin:

The horrible thing is all the nice emails I have received about my article and I don't have MY News yet! :doh:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Feb 10, 2009 1:10 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:The horrible thing is all the nice emails I have received about my article and I don't have MY News yet!

That was you? That's a GREAT article. :kewl:

I have rappelled the Hell's Hole entrance and wondered if I would ever crawl all those thousands of feet of nastiness to see the rest of the cave. Nice to know that it could now be done as a through trip! Has anyone done it yet?

How about connecting King Leo? Any leads there? That was my first vertical cave.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 10, 2009 5:11 pm

"....I have rappelled the Hell's Hole entrance and wondered if I would ever crawl all those thousands of feet of nastiness to see the rest of the cave. Nice to know that it could now be done as a through trip! Has anyone done it yet?..."

Well, as I said in the article it was hard to get anyone but Brian to go back twice! No one who has done the "old" one entrance trip to the dome and back has shown a desire to revisit the more miserable sections for a through trip. So no, an official through trip has not been done as far as I know. However, Brian, Jamie, Elliot, Chris and Sean have done the whole through trip route, just not at once! :big grin:

King Leo *should* (or maybe did) connect since passages overlie each other in a breakdown area, but as yet no evidence has surfaced I know of.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 13, 2009 7:04 pm

YEA! my News finally came. It was almost a mini conservation issue since both the new cave exploration articles involved trash-filled sinks!
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby driggs » Feb 14, 2009 7:41 pm

I was very pleased to see photos by Elliot Stahl in this month's issue. You can see more of Elliot's fantastic cave photography on his Flickr site:

http://flickr.com/photos/elliot_stahl/

:kewl:
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 15, 2009 3:49 pm

LOL just to clarify, THAT Eliot picture is NOT from Hat Dome :big grin:
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaverScott » Feb 16, 2009 10:28 am

wyandottecaver wrote:LOL just to clarify, THAT Eliot picture is NOT from Hat Dome :big grin:
Still a Hoosier secret, gotcha, I will play along. :shhh:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Return to Publications