history of availability of print editions of Vertical

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

history of availability of print editions of Vertical

Postby ek » Jan 30, 2009 9:03 am

Has the 2007 edition of Vertical by Al Warild actually been available in a print version since 2007, or was it initially printed later? Has it been available in print for a while, or just recently?

Have there been any other editions printed (besides the 2007, or 5th, edition) since the 3rd edition came out in print in 1994?

Thanks!
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Re: history of availability of print editions of Vertical

Postby caverdoc » Feb 3, 2009 11:57 am

Ooooooooooooooooooh. Vertical. I love my color copy, and it now costs more to purchase than when I bought mine. I'm resting my left elbow on it right now and will groove on those fine color illustrations after replying to this post. It's such a cool book I may ask the wife to throw it in my coffin when I croak.

I also have a couple copies of the original treatise, one with colored-in black and white illustrations. Well-thumbed copy is still one of my favorites, along with a copy of Montgomery's "Single Rope Techniques" (I'm looking at TWO copies of that in my "working" library beside the computer.) that is actually separating at the spine, it's so used.

I guess if you had print editions you could look inside the frontispiece for the editions information. Let me check mine... :rofl:
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Re: history of availability of print editions of Vertical

Postby caverdoc » Feb 8, 2009 11:55 am

The frontispiece of my Lulu-generated copy, the most current edition, says Fifth Print Edition, 2007. I also believe I bought it in 2007. The price for the color edition has jumped from the$40 I paid.

Both my "earlier" paper copies are second editions.

If memory serves, the "fourth edition" was available exclusively as a CD-ROM, from the NSS and other vendors.

As to the mystery of a third edition, maybe it came out in print in Australia but was not available in the US.

Again, the entire Fifth edition is available on-line. Alan did an excellent job updating the text, including recent features such as the Stenlight (which is becoming nearly universal in my caving circle). I highly recommend the Lulu edition, first-rate quality.

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Return to Publications