Is there a more detailed map?

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Is there a more detailed map?

Postby kzincaver » Jan 4, 2009 3:04 am

Hi!

I just received ''The Longest Cave'' for Christmas and have settled in for a long winter's read.

I love that the book has maps, but in reading Appendix 1, about Mammoth Cave's history, I keep finding areas written about, but not on the book's provided maps. I would like to follow the book's progression, along with a map, as it give the feeling(somewhat) of exploring with the author.

Is there a source where I can purchase/get a map more detailed than the ones provided in the book?

I am a new member, and have read elsewhere about Cave Files, yet haven't found yet how to access them. Would I find the information I seek there?

Thanks for your help!
kzincaver
New Poster

NSS #: 60659

Re: Is there a more detailed map?

Postby Wm Shrewsbury » Jan 4, 2009 10:37 am

Others here might be able to better provide a contact for a better map, but I thought I'd also comment about the Mammoth Cave map itself. I've seen it displayed at a previous NSS Convention and it is pretty impressive. It took up nearly the entire floor of the basketball court! It should (hopefully) be at the ICS this year and is well worth seeing.

Good luck on your search - there are plenty of CRF'ers out there who know a lot about that cave...
Cave Softly and Carry a Long Rope - TAG!

Wm Shrewsbury
:bat sticker:
Wm Shrewsbury
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Wm Shrewsbury
NSS #: 22677RL, FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Re: Is there a more detailed map?

Postby Roppelcaver » Jan 4, 2009 2:20 pm

Good morning,

It is hard to know exactly what you might be looking for, but there is a source of some maps commercially available. Look at CRF's Cave Books subsidiary at www.cavebooks.com. Problem is that what is available is not labled, but the Map Card and Kaemper Map is a good place to start.

Jim Borden
Roppel Caver guy
Roppelcaver
Prolific Poster

Return to Publications