Hellhole: still plenty steamed

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Hellhole: still plenty steamed

Postby Dwight Livingston » Sep 10, 2008 7:22 pm

I was just reading from the Underground Update in September NSS News, page 26, a summary from a Terry McClanathan article or interview published in the Cumberland Valley Caver, in which he discusses Hellhole. The NSS piece reports that ". . . so much new cave was discovered under the direction of Gordon Brace until 2007, when it was finally halted. It was not halted because project members ran out of cave, but because they ran out of steam."

That is certainly not the case, in fact about 180 degrees from the truth. I would be in there at moment's notice, upstream from the Ear Canal on whatever length trip is called for. So would many others. The fact is, the owner has closed the cave and we can't get in. Perhaps we can get permission to survey there again sometime, but for now the cave is closed to all.
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Re: Hellhole: still plenty steamed

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 10, 2008 8:21 pm

I got some steam. And, I haven't even been yet. Last time I checked, I wasn't able to commit to multiple weekends, so I didn't get on the list. Finally, I'm getting to a point where I might get some more weekends available and it's closed. Oh well. I'll keep waiting.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby MUD » Sep 11, 2008 9:00 am

Y'all will be in there soon enough Dwight....thru Shovel Eater or Memorial Day Caves??? Or one of them holes with the HUGE AIR! :laughing:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Komebeaux » Sep 18, 2008 2:33 pm

I just think that's Terry's way of recruiting more help.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby Jep » Sep 19, 2008 9:26 am

Well actually you all. Terry never wrote anything about the team running out of steam. The facts are, there was a quote in the original publication, Cumberland Valley Caver, that stated that "although Gordon (Brace) confessed to getting a bit weary of all the administrative duties, he decided to give it one more summer."

Unfortunately, one of the best NSS volunteers, Bern Szukalski, inadvertantly paraprased that sentence into the offending line in the NSS News. Bern is not a journalist, he's a volunteer extraodinaire. He peruses anywhere from 50-100 newsletters every month for his Underground Update column. I'm sure he didn't mean to offend any of the Hellhole surveyors.

In fact, it would be a shame if you all drive one of the best volunteers away because of a late night error in paraphrasing.

As to those of you who attacked Bern about his journalism, he is a volunteer, not a journalist. In fact the journalist that made the disparaging remarks that I read obviously didn't do their homework as a journalist or they wouldn't of made the comments that they did.

Bern. I for one think that your column is great and look forward to it every month. Keep up the great work.

John E. Pearson aka Jep.
Jep
Prolific Poster

Postby Dwight Livingston » Sep 19, 2008 9:54 am

Jep wrote:Well actually you all. . . . In fact, it would be a shame if you all drive one of the best volunteers away because of a late night error in paraphrasing.

Jep

Who are you talking to?

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Return to Publications