New Must-Have Book! Vertical Bill

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

New Must-Have Book! Vertical Bill

Postby Cheryl Jones » May 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Hot off the press!

Vertical Bill: The Story of Bill Cuddington
and the Development of Vertical Caving in America

By David W. Hughes
Forword By William R. Halliday, M.D.

Widely acknowledged as the “father of vertical caving,” Bill Cuddington has pioneered vertical rope techniques for more than half a century. Published by the NSS, this new book explores Bill Cuddington, the person, and his life of adventures on rope and underground.

392 pages, hardbound

Price: $ 32.00
Member Price: $ 29.00
Life Member Price: $ 28.00

Order your copy now from http://www.NSSBookstore.org

(Permission to circulate this notice widely among cavers)
Cheryl Jones
NSS OVP
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: New Must-Have Book! Vertical Bill

Postby driggs » May 15, 2008 5:31 pm

:kewl:
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby Ralph E. Powers » May 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Yep! A definite must have for every caver's personal and grotto's library! :kewl:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Larry E. Matthews » May 23, 2008 12:23 pm

Got mine in the mail yesterday. It looks really nice.

I haven't had time to read it yet, of course, but I did flip through and look at all the photographs. There are a lot of really historic photos in this book. I even found my old caving buddy Kirk Holland in one of the photos. He was doing a scary-looking step down from one ledge to another above Surprise Pit, I think.

Bill Cuddington has been an inspiration to several generations of new vertical cavers and is well-deserving of this honor. I remember Kirk Holland, me, and my other caving friends seeking out Bill's advice in the early 60's. He was always willing to offer help and advice to new vertical cavers. And, he still does.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jun 4, 2008 11:48 am

Well, I'm up to page 89 now, and have thoroughly enjoyed the book, so far.

Modern vertical cavers should enjoy reading, and hopefully appreciate, the total lack of knowledge concerning vertical caving that existed when Bill Cuddington started caving in the 1950's.

I read with amusement, and personal memories, his stories of trying to "body rappell". If you ever tried a body rappell, you will appreciate the modern rack. Similarly, they were trying pulleys and ladders before Bill discovered the "Prussik knot", used by mountaineers. They work, but wow, what a lot of work compared to modern ascenders.

Also, younger cavers might be interested in how few "young" cavers back then had cars. They were a luxury that few young people could afford. Car-pooling was a real necessity. The book, so far, is a great glimpse into what caving was like 50 years ago.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jun 17, 2008 10:57 am

Well, I'm up to page 279 now, and have enjoyed every page. Not only does the book give Bill Cuddington's full life story, but it chronicles the development of single rope caving techniques and the invention of the various rapelling and climbing devices that we just take for granted, nowdays. The various persons who invented and tested these devices are given the publicity that they so richly deserve. The book also describes the development of modern caving ropes. It is interesting to read how the first ropes cavers used were Manila and bought at Sears (Yep, I bought my first rope there, too). A salesman at Sears was horrified when he learned what Bill Cuddington was using the rope for, and begged him not to buy anymore there !!! I guess he was afraid Bill would get killed and their rope would be blamed for the accident.

Many of the chapters are great stories just by themselves, such as the discovery and descent of Surprise Pit in Alabama (Chapter 28). That's my old High School buddy Kirk Holland doing the Step-Down on page 189. One slip and it was 425 feet straight down. Another great chapter describes the discovery and first descent of Sotano de las Golondrinas in Mexico (Chapter 33). That has to be one of the all-time great first descents ever made.

I'm enjoying this book so much, I hate to finish it, but I'm getting close to the end.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 17, 2008 11:21 am

I got a copy for Father's Day. What great kids! I just wish they had also given me some time to read it. :laughing:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jun 19, 2008 11:35 am

I read the book in two marathon sittings. I couldn't put it down.... I'm on vacation too and that's what I do: read. My copy was handed to me last Saturday by Dave Hughes himself, who is a truly wonderful guy and an excellent author.

Fantastic book book and a real inspiration. Makes me wish I could go back in time when the new discoveries were coming in left and right. Of course, if I was to travel back in time, I would have to carry a hank of PMI rope and my rack. Oh, and my ascenders too :big grin: We have it good these days... caving was rough back then.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Phil Winkler » Jun 19, 2008 12:11 pm

I was gifted the book even tho I had planned to buy it. I'm reading it slowly and savoring every bit of it.

Two major impressions:

The quality is superb. The last book I recall being printed with such heavy, polished paper was J. Harlan Bretz' Caves of Missouri and I bought that at the Rolla School of Mines in 1969! (Where has the time gone?)

The tone of the writing is clearly that of Bill's. I can even hear him as he says "Gosh....." and "Gee, willakers...." .

I don't think I know Dave Hughes, but in this book he has certainly captured the spirit and mystique of those glorious early days of vertical caving.

Bill and Miriam are two of the good ones. The Huntsville Grotto has so many great cavers who have contributed so much to the science and sport of caving.

What fun.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Return to Publications