Donate your Journal of Cave and Karst Studies

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Donate your Journal of Cave and Karst Studies

Postby Ron Fulcher » Nov 11, 2005 1:57 pm

In another topic field there has been some question as to the need for the Journal of Cave and Karst Studies. I fully appreciate that all of us may not understand or enjoy reading each and every article. I personally enjoy the publication and am glad that I receive it as a member benefit.

It did strike me however, that when I am done I place them in a box and store them in one of my sheds here on the farm. Here they rest and are kept for later reference (very few times have I gone back to them though.) So Ihad mentioned in another string that maybe they could be donated to a local school or University.

This could serve as a way of both sharing information and might even prove to be an avenue for advertising to non-members some of our value added services. Of course their is also no additional cost to the NSS for this distribution by hand delivery.

I emailed the Geology professor at Cedarville University which is about four miles from my house. He responded a couple days ago and said he was not aware of this publication. He said he would be willing to receive the "donation of materials" to share in the department. Therefore I have stacked up several copies of past issues and am readying them for delivery!

If you do not read them or do not necessarily want to store them I would suggest that you try a similar route intead of just throwing them away. Today's geology students may very well be a source of tommorow's NSS recruits and contributors!

Ron Fulcher
NSS 44706RL
Ron Fulcher
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 44706RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Rockcastle Regional Grotto

Old NSS Bulletins

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Nov 12, 2005 8:41 am

I agree that that is a wonderful idea. But, let me add:

Check out the stacks and see if they hardbind their Journals. That is a plus and helps preserve them. Also, try to pick a library big enough that there is actually research going on there.

For years, I have been giving publications to the Tennessee State Library and Archives and they have taken very good care of them. I have also been giving caving publications to the "Nashville Room" of the Nashville Public Library, and they have also taken great care of these publications. Even more important, they appreciate them and are thankful to get them.

So, follow up, and make sure you don't get a "Thank You", but the Journals end up in the trash after you leave.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS # 6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Nov 12, 2005 3:30 pm

I agree a good idea... BYU has an active geology dept. I dunno if they receive anything like this but it'd be worth checking out.
I enjoy the occasional Journal ... which means: the articles that are readily understood and aren't buried in techno-geological babble. :roll:
Great suggestion!
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Return to Publications