NSS News Salon Gallery ?

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

NSS News Salon Gallery ?

Postby Bobatnathrop » Nov 5, 2005 1:28 pm

Hey Yall,
I was just wondering how the pictures for the Salon Gallery (I guess that is what it is called) in the middle of the NSS News magezines are selected?

Is there anyway to submit photos to be looked at in consideration to be put in there?

Thanks,
Jeremy A.
Bobatnathrop
Frequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Nov 6, 2005 6:44 pm

Dave Bunnell, NSS News Editor, selects the photos. http://www.caves.org/pub/nssnews/ Many are NSS Salon winners and entries. You can check with Dave about submitting your photos. Be sure to include "NSS" in the subject line of your email, so it isn't trashed as spam.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Salon Gallery

Postby Dave Bunnell » Nov 18, 2005 1:29 pm

It's not quite accurate to say that I select the photos for the Salon Gallery. In this section I try to run all the ribbon winners from the Slide and Print Salons. In the case of the slide winners I receive a CD each year with all the scans, so can be pretty complete in printing every ones stuff. If I need to round out a page I will sometimes make some selections from the non-ribbon winners.

With the print salons I'm dependent on the winners to submit a disk of scans to work with. So far this year I haven't gotten any from the winners, so if you got a ribbon in the print salon please send me a version of your work.

The color section is not confined to the Salon Gallery, as you may notice. Typically some of it goes with a feature article. Occasionally I get enough strong photo submissions from an individual, without an article, to run a page showcasing just their photos. I also accumulate single photo submissions and will run a page of photos from various photographers...but not under the title of Salon Gallery, which as I say is very specific.

So, I certainly encourage people to submit photos for the News even if they don't accompany an article.
NSS News Editor
Dave Bunnell
Prolific Poster

Return to Publications