New Cave Rescue Book

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

New Cave Rescue Book

Postby cavedoc » Jul 2, 2015 7:26 pm

The new edition of Manual of US Cave Rescue Techniques is out! Available at IMO, Karst Sports, and SpeleoBooks. Pick up a copy at convention or order directly. A lot of people (especially shibumi) have put in a lot time to get this out.

http://www.innermountainoutfitters.com/ ... d-edition/

http://speleobooks.secure-mall.com/item ... rd-Ed-1244
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Re: New Cave Resce Book

Postby alfred1 » Nov 6, 2015 6:26 pm

Not wanting to start a fight over this, but I don't know how else I'd put this question...how does this compare to "Life On A Line" 2nd edition?
Since I have that one, should I get this too?

Thank you
alfred1
Occasional Poster

Postby NZcaver » Nov 9, 2015 7:25 pm

alfred1 wrote:Not wanting to start a fight over this, but I don't know how else I'd put this question...how does this compare to "Life On A Line" 2nd edition?

It depends. What is your interest? Life On A Line is a British publication predominantly covering rope rescue techniques in caves. The Manual of US Cave Rescue Techniques is a 200+ page publication covering a much broader scope of cave rescue material than just rope techniques. It does cover many of the same rope/rigging techniques and equipment, but of course there are also differences in techniques and philosophy between the continents (for those of us who are interested in studying and comparing such things). The US manual also covers search, medical, patient transport, management, communication, and much more.

[Disclaimer: I am one of the contributing authors for the Manual of US Cave Rescue Techniques.]
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby alfred1 » Nov 10, 2015 11:29 am

NZcaver wrote:
alfred1 wrote:Not wanting to start a fight over this, but I don't know how else I'd put this question...how does this compare to "Life On A Line" 2nd edition?

It depends. What is your interest? Life On A Line is a British publication predominantly covering rope rescue techniques in caves. The Manual of US Cave Rescue Techniques is a 200+ page publication covering a much broader scope of cave rescue material than just rope techniques. It does cover many of the same rope/rigging techniques and equipment, but of course there are also differences in techniques and philosophy between the continents (for those of us who are interested in studying and comparing such things). The US manual also covers search, medical, patient transport, management, communication, and much more.

[Disclaimer: I am one of the contributing authors for the Manual of US Cave Rescue Techniques.]

I see, this clear things up a bit :wink: I'd be more interested in rope techniques but from your explanation those books are not replaceable each other, maybe just complementary and overlapping a little in some subjects :waving:

Thank you
alfred1
Occasional Poster

New Cave Rescue Book

Postby Ernie Coffman » Nov 10, 2015 1:20 pm

Alfredi, it looks like you'd want "On Rope" by Smith and Padgett, which is kind of considered the Bible on rope techniques.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Publications