1960 NSS Convention Guidebooks

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

1960 NSS Convention Guidebooks

Postby daj » Feb 20, 2013 8:18 am

I have two 1960 convention guidebooks with different front and back covers. Can anyone tell me why there were two different covers for this convention? Also, pages 38, 39, and 40 are blank with "NOTES" at the top of these pages in my top photo. The bottom book has photos of formations on pages 38, 39, and 40. One last difference, one has no publisher noted, the other was published by Beedle Publishing Company, Carlsbad, New Mexico.

Image Image

Image Image
daj
Occasional Poster

Re: 1960 NSS Convention Guidebooks

Postby Caverdale » Feb 20, 2013 11:04 am

My recollection of that convention says that your books are not NSS CONVENTION guidebooks, but guidebooks meant for the general public that happened to be published in 1960. The 1960 NSS CONVENTION guidebook was only 8 pages, with a flying bat on the cover. The title says, "THE NATIONAL SPELEOLOGICAL SOCIETY" with an additional caption, "ANNUAL CONVENTION CARLSBAD, NEW MEXICO and CARLSBAD CAVERNS NATIONAL PARK. June 8-12, 1960." Inside are listings of how/where to register and the speaking programs.
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dale Green
NSS #: 3669FE, LB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Salt Lake Grotto

Postby daj » Feb 20, 2013 11:41 am

Thank you for that information. I was using the information in the Speleological Literature book, on page 384 [2383]. These are the ones I have.

daj
Occasional Poster

Postby Caverdale » Feb 20, 2013 2:48 pm

daj wrote:Thank you for that information. I was using the information in the Speleological Literature book, on page 384 [2383]. These are the ones I have.

Hmmm! I certainly don't remember receiving any guidebook other than the 8-page one cited above, and I never throw anything away. I am surprised that the covers of your books don't say anything about the NSS or a Convention. What do they say about these subjects inside?
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby daj » Feb 20, 2013 5:32 pm

The only difference is one has the publishing company imprint, the other does not. Any chance you could find your 8 page guide?

daj
Occasional Poster

Postby Caverdale » Feb 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Mystery solved, maybe. The Carlsbad convention was my very first and after that, grad school and a new job kept me from attending another for several years. I have kept everything after that filed away in a large bookcase. The photos last posted of the Carlsbad entrance rang a bell. During a house move I put all of my old caving stuff in a box which has been setting in the basement, not looked at, for probably 50 years. Sometime during those years someone gave me the program guide to the convention which I described above and I thought it was my original. However the old box contained both a pristine guidebook and a pristine program guide. The Guidebook is definitely the one on the top of your first post, the one without a publishing company. That doesn't solve your problem, but a clue may be found in the November 1960 NSS News on page 126 where a new supply of guidebooks was recently received at the office and are offered for $0.75. My guess is that these were probably reprints by another source other than the originals handed out at the convention. The new printer company put their name on it. Just guessing.
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby daj » Feb 21, 2013 8:11 am

Dale, your explanation makes perfect sense as to why there are two slightly different books. I think you have solved my mystery, and I thank you for this great information.

Do you know how may people attended the 1960 convention? I know there weren’t very many NSS members at that time, and I would imagine the attendance was small.
daj
Occasional Poster

Postby daj » Feb 21, 2013 8:27 am

The August 1960 NSS News answered my question about attendance. The article says, "Approximately 295 officially registered at the desk plus any number of others who attended but who did not register for one reason or another." The cover photo of this issue shows some of the people at the banquet.
daj
Occasional Poster

Return to Publications