Can I or should I publish this boring cave info.?

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Can I or should I publish this boring cave info.?

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 30, 2012 7:39 pm

http://s1241.photobucket.com/profile/GroundquestMSA

Here are some of the wonders one can experience in these parts. And some examples of my bland maps.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » May 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Those are great! Excellent examples of how cave maps don't need to be overly fancy—just useful. Do you have written descriptions and location info as well?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Yessir.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Nice! :clap:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby MUD » May 31, 2012 12:13 am

I don't publish a thing without landowner permission! I have things tucked away in my files cavers would drool over if they could see it. The current landowners don't want that info published so it will be passed on to my caver children to deal with later. :big grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby UnderGroundEarth » May 31, 2012 7:35 am

Once you put it together you can also send a copy to the NSS Library. If you need some tips or suggesstions on how to put it together I'd be willing to help you. I've got lots of experience putting together caving guidebooks and newsletters.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby trogman » May 31, 2012 12:22 pm

Dude, you are being way too humble about your cartographic skills. Nice looking maps, in my opinion! :clap:

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Tom Gilleland » May 31, 2012 11:23 pm

Certainly you should give a copy of all your maps to Horton, cave scientists can use your maps in whatever research they are doing.

A publicaton of Ohio caves would be something that I would like to read, but mostly because Ohio is where I went to my first wild caves as a kid. Maybe you should talk to Horton about doing a Caves of Ohio monograph? You could use CafePress to do a small run publication. Or maybe just help someone else make the publication. Even the pdf file option would be better then nothing.

If work is not published, then it is the same as if it was not even done.
Tom Gilleland
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 26508
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern Arizona Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 31, 2012 11:44 pm

Horton mentioned making a Caves of Adams Co. edition of Pholeos. I think he was about 27% serious. He's a busy fellow, and has helped me so much already that I hesitate to pester him with a project he's not really interested in.

I am willing to pursue any of the options you describe though, Tom. I have to learn more about each, and perhaps try to find a willing collaborator. Which part of Ohio did you cave in?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jun 1, 2012 9:27 am

Nice, functional maps!! :kewl:
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby normrogers » Apr 12, 2013 9:42 am

Some cool stuff on the photobucket site!

If you are considering publishing in book form, it's incredibly easy. Use createspace.com It's an affiliate of Amazon that allows you to publish and make your book available for sale. And it's free. Just download one of their pre-formatted Word templates, populate it with your text and photos, and it's placed on Amazon for publication. You can also create a custom cover on that site, and it can make an electronic version for e-readers.

Of course, if you have exact cave locations, publishing the above would be a bad idea. :yikes:

If you just wanted a couple copies for yourself and a few friends, you can order as many as you want (reduced price) and just never publish to Amazon.
CNN Coverage of restoration work at Mammoth Cave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx2qHHSBOV8
normrogers
Infrequent Poster

Name: Norm Rogers
NSS #: 29547F
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal

Postby GroundquestMSA » Apr 14, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks Norm, for the suggestions. Though there has been some recent interest in making a project of publishing everything we can scrape up on Adams County Caves, the search for a means of publication is ongoing, as is the search for caves. Two virgin discoveries in the last few weeks have been unexpected and have given us a few more areas to search before declaring the county finished.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chac » Apr 14, 2013 10:17 pm

You have documented a lot of "not boring" cave. It is my hope that you will find a means to publish your findings. You should document your work please, it is valuable information.

As a side note, it may be too late to send an abstract for a talk in for the upcoming NSS 2013 Convention. If it is too early for you to speak about your progress at this year's convention, I would encourage you to consider giving a presentation on your explorations and mapping at the next 2014 convention :kewl:
Jim Coke
chac
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 26442

Postby normrogers » Apr 15, 2013 9:24 am

GroundquestMSA wrote:Thanks Norm, for the suggestions. Though there has been some recent interest in making a project of publishing everything we can scrape up on Adams County Caves, the search for a means of publication is ongoing, as is the search for caves. Two virgin discoveries in the last few weeks have been unexpected and have given us a few more areas to search before declaring the county finished.

Finding new cave is always cool!!! But that illustrates the inherent weakness of conventional publication (in book format). You print 1000 copies, then find new cave, and your books are out-dated. When using a site like createspace, if you need to update the book, just upload a new file and it's ready for print in about 12 hours. You can order one book, or you can order as many as you need. Pretty cool option.
CNN Coverage of restoration work at Mammoth Cave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx2qHHSBOV8
normrogers
Infrequent Poster

Name: Norm Rogers
NSS #: 29547F
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal

Postby MUD » Apr 16, 2013 7:00 am

You should NEVER publish a thing, that includes a picture, without the landowner's consent!!! :doh:

I'm actually working on a MAR bulletin for Mifflin County in central PA. There was a caves of the county bulletin published in 1981 and it is outdated. I am AMAZED at the number of landowners who know nothing of their caves being in a publication! They are NOT very happy about it and have closed their caves to cavers because of it. Thanks to the cavers involved!!! :down:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

PreviousNext

Return to Publications