Back to the Future in the Caves of Kauaʻi -- Book Review

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Back to the Future in the Caves of Kauaʻi -- Book Review

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Bill Mixon asked me to post this review.

Back to the Future in the Caves of Kauaʻi: A Scientist's Adventures in the Dark.
David A. Burney. Yale University Press, New Haven; 2011.
6 by 9 inches, xv+198 pages. Hardbound
ISBN 978-0-300-15094-0, $28;
softbound ISBN 978-0-300-17209-6,
$18.

In pursuit of his interest in paleoecology, or the study of how the arrival of humans has changed ecosystems worldwide, the author began an investigation in Makauwahi Cave on the southeastern coast of the Hawaiian island of Kauaʻi. A solution cave in eolianite limestone that also spent some time as a sea cave, it now consists mainly of a large, open collapse sinkhole. Excavation and coring of the deposits on the floor of the sink have disclosed a lot of information about the changes in the island's flora and fauna since the arrival of Polynesians about a thousand years ago and then Europeans in 1788. Before it's discovery by man, the only mammal on the island was a bat. A large fraction of the plants and animals on the Hawaiian islands were unable to cope with the the Polynesian's rats, dogs, and pigs and the European's goats, not to mention many invasive plants introduced accidentally or on purpose. Many have gone extinct, and hundreds of officially endangered species hang on only in remote and inaccessible areas.

More recently, the author and his wife have spearheaded restoration of the ancient ecology in the sinkhole and some of the surrounding area. The Makauwahi Cave Reserve is now a popular attraction due to the thriving native plants. The book is in a popular style, but has many references to the scientific literature. Very readable, if not exactly cavey in the usual sense.
—Bill Mixon
Available from the NSS Bookstore: http://nssbookstore.org/index.php?mode= ... er=01-0685
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Back to the Future in the Caves of Kauaʻi -- Book Review

Postby Cody JW » Apr 28, 2012 2:58 pm

I wish I would of had that book before I went to Kaua'i a few years ago. I did see a few caves there.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Return to Publications