Seeking '72 COG Squeaks

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Seeking '72 COG Squeaks

Postby GroundquestMSA » Feb 1, 2012 3:35 pm

I'm on an unlikely quest to track down an article by the late Warren Luther called, "Preliminary Report on the Caves of Adams County Ohio." It was published in COG's newsletter 15(10), I believe in 1972. I don't know if it was published elsewhere.

I'm mainly looking for historical information on local caves. Since the caves of Adams County are not exactly plentiful or scintillating, I figured my efforts to compile a slightly interesting and more complete report could do with a few old stories and old maps to compare to my own. I'm not sure if Luther's report included such, but it would be fun to read regardless.
I suppose if no local legends can be obtained through old articles or old farmers, I could definitely insert a few of the stock stories we've all heard 46,782 times....I think that's a topic for another post.

Anyhow, thanks for any help and especially any references to anyone who may have some knowledge of S. Ohio karst.

-J
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Seeking '72 COG Squeaks

Postby chac » Feb 2, 2012 2:43 am

It looks like WUSS has been busy in that area (Wittenberg University Speleological Society, Springfield OH). Horton H. Hobbs III seems to be familiar with this publication. He quotes Luther's paper in two older issues of "Pholeos". Perhaps someone at WUSS can have a look in their library for Luther's original paper or the COG Squeaks issue.

Did you happen to check with the folks at the COG? I suppose you could also search the Karst Information Portal for the COG newsletter as well.
Jim Coke
chac
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 26442

Postby GroundquestMSA » Feb 2, 2012 9:57 am

I have talked to the COG. After a couple of weeks of waiting I figured it wouldn't hurt to try a more open appeal. I learned about the paper from Pholeos 1 in the first place, and I know Horton was a friend of the author. However, I'm trying to keep from bugging him too much since he's very busy and has already been a great deal of help to me.
I didn't think of trying the KIP, thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: Nothing in the KIP.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 2, 2012 12:16 pm

"Squeaks?"
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby GroundquestMSA » Feb 2, 2012 2:29 pm

The COG Squeaks is the official newsletter of the Central Ohio Grotto. It's been around since around 1950 so I have no idea who is responsible for the name.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Feb 2, 2012 4:25 pm

My request has been kindly cared for by Bill Torode, NSS Librarian. Thanks to Phil Winkler for reminding me of this obvious resource.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Publications