Cumberland Caverns Books Lost In Nashville Flood

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Cumberland Caverns Books Lost In Nashville Flood

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jun 8, 2010 9:34 pm

The big Flood here in Nashville on May 2 flooded my home and destroyed the last 200 copies of "Cumberland Caverns" that were in print.

Fortunately, both the Cumberland Cavern Gift Shop and the NSS Bookstore still have copies in stock. When they run low, I plan to print some more.

I am thinking about printing a small quantity (perhaps 50) of Hardbound copies on high quality paper to sell as a "Collector's Edition". I hope to have them available at the NSS Convention in Vermont.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Re: Cumberland Caverns Books Lost In Nashville Flood

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jun 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Sorry to hear that Larry. Cumberland Caverns is the first cave I really went "caving" in as a kid. I enjoyed your book about it when I got it several years ago.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Re: Cumberland Caverns Books Lost In Nashville Flood

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jun 14, 2010 4:16 pm

Well, I don't intend to let it go out-of-print. I have already asked both the Cumberland Caverns Gift Shop and the NSS Bookstore to give me fair warning when they are running low and I will order some more.

In fact, I have pretty much decided to use the better quality paper, like we used in the new "Blue Spring Cave" book for this next batch. I'll probably have to raise the cost a few bucks to offset the higher printing costs and higher paper costs, however.

In addition to the copies of "Cumberland Caverns", I also lost several boxes of Speleo Digests, several boxes of old NSS News, and several boxes of old NSS Bulletins, plus 10-20 copies each of "Big Bone Cave", "Dunbar Cave: The Showplace of the South", "Caves of Chattanooga", "Caves of Knoxville and the Great Smoky Mountains", and "Blue Spring Cave".

My losses just of those books and NSS items was easily over $10,000 retail value. Ugh !!!

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Return to Publications