Youth Caving Conservation Award

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Youth Caving Conservation Award

Postby amaddox » Dec 15, 2009 1:15 pm

There are a few things to keep in mind. One is that this is not a merit badge. Another thing to consider is that any youth from any youth organization, (BSA, GSUSA, etc.) can earn this. GSUSA Councils can have their own Caving IPP. BSA does have the Caving Elective for the Ranger Award.
This maybe something that different summer camps can fashion a caving program around.

I think the "bat sticker" :bat sticker: is still a NSS membership only logo. We should come up with something new, unless part of this will be to join the NSS :kewl:

Start brain storming....
Allen Maddox
NSS Youth Group Liaison Committee, Chair

http://www.youcave.org/
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Re: Youth Caving Conservation Award

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 15, 2009 6:08 pm

umm since I seem to be the perennial rain maker for parades I will point out this comes (as you well know) at a bad time. If people (peer the USFWS) arent supposed to be going in caves at all...period, A caving conservation award seems a bit like an uphill battle right now.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ArCaver » Dec 15, 2009 6:36 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:umm since I seem to be the perennial rain maker for parades I will point out this comes (as you well know) at a bad time. If people (peer the USFWS) arent supposed to be going in caves at all...period, A caving conservation award seems a bit like an uphill battle right now.

It should be easy to select the winners. They're the ones that stay out of caves!
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby amaddox » Dec 16, 2009 11:24 am

wyandottecaver wrote:umm since I seem to be the perennial rain maker for parades I will point out this comes (as you well know) at a bad time. If people (peer the USFWS) arent supposed to be going in caves at all...period, A caving conservation award seems a bit like an uphill battle right now.

The original coversation did talk about this not having an actual caving element to it. Beside, since we're not caving I've nothing better to do with my time than fight an uphill battle :big grin:
Allen Maddox
NSS Youth Group Liaison Committee, Chair

http://www.youcave.org/
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 16, 2009 3:56 pm

LOL true.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Dec 16, 2009 5:56 pm

I gave my kids their very own Youth Conservation Award....I took them caving 9 times this year with a trip this coming weekend! :bananabat: Don't give into that Guv crap...take your kids cavin!!! :woohoo:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby buddyh » Dec 19, 2009 12:37 pm

I set up an email address (eddress) for you to send your suggestions, drafts and supporting information to. Though I'm concentrating on a merit badge for scouting, I believe there will be a lot of overlap. Maybe the only difference will be the presenting/sponsoring organization.

bsabadge (at) hiventures.com

Please send me all related information such as the submission criteria mentioned in a post by rebelfirefighter.

I will organize the submittals and share what is submitted periodically.
buddyh
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 44353
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Boy Scouts Baltimore Area Council

Return to Youth Groups Forum