More Stories

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

More Stories

Postby amaddox » Dec 3, 2009 7:30 pm

You guys have been holding out on me. It sounds like there are some good stories to be told from caving with kids. Buddy, Steve, I don't want to have to put you on the spot (although I think I just did). Let's hear some more details. Do you have any pictures????
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Re: More Stories

Postby buddyh » Dec 6, 2009 6:49 pm

I try to post pictures at my website after each trip, especially now with digital photos. Stories like the time we were recovering another groups lost batteries from a narrow crack and ended up rescuing a bat that had fallen and couldn't get up. Or the time one early April adventure as the campfire slowly faded away as did the scouts. Some one finally checked the time expecting it to be close to midnight only to find it was only 8:00 PM. I will take a look at my notes and see what I can come up with.
buddyh
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 44353
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Boy Scouts Baltimore Area Council

Postby amaddox » Dec 6, 2009 7:59 pm

Where's your web site?
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby buddyh » Dec 6, 2009 9:44 pm

www.hiventures.com

Pictures are under Customer Caving Adventures under the Navigator panel.

Someday I will have to drag along one of the new fangled HD flash memory video cameras.
buddyh
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 44353
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Boy Scouts Baltimore Area Council

Postby Mudduck » Dec 6, 2009 10:10 pm

amaddox wrote:You guys have been holding out on me. It sounds like there are some good stories to be told from caving with kids. Buddy, Steve, I don't want to have to put you on the spot (although I think I just did). Let's hear some more details. Do you have any pictures????

You know I had no idea anyone else would be interested. My boys are putting together a facebook page, when they get it done I'll post a link as well as start giving trip reports.
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby amaddox » Dec 6, 2009 10:48 pm

[quote="Mudduck........You know I had no idea anyone else would be interested. My boys are putting together a facebook page, when they get it done I'll post a link as well as start giving trip reports.[/quote]
Let me know....
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Dec 6, 2009 10:54 pm

I have done caving with my nieces and nephews several times. I have one nephew that has really taken an interest in caving and constantly begs me to take him caving. I have allot of photos and some video of them caving with me. I will add some pics and the videos here a little later when I am on my computer. I have not been able to do much caving with them lately since the cave closures, I have not been to many easy horizontal caves although I am considering taking him along on my Marengo cave "New Discovery" trip next week.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby David Grimes » Dec 6, 2009 11:56 pm

O.K. I am posting a few pics and a video from my trips with my niece and nephews. A little back story: The video is a trip to Mauck's cave in the Harrison Crawford Forestry from back before the closures with 4 kids and 4 adults. The cave is less than 500ft long but contains lots of formations and fun crawls. There is one place where you can crawl through a big square that looks like it has been cut out or you can go over and crawl through a 1ft high spot, I sent the kids through the small spot and they really loved it. They really made it look like a tight squeeze lol (I can fit through it and i'm 6'0" 225lbs). The pics are from a seperate trip to Langdon's cave in the forestry (again before the closures) with my brother-in-law and my nephew.

<-part 1 part 2->
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Return to Youth Groups Forum