Youth Groups and WNS

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Youth Groups and WNS

Postby karstmd » Mar 8, 2009 9:58 pm

Great job! on the website Allen etal. Without any mentoring, the pool of cavers would just get smaller and smaller.
Good job on placing WNS prominently as the second link *and* in the text as well. This should get the attention of anyone who goes to the site. Trouble is, this is a passive method of informing. WNS is the greatest threat that bats could ever face on their own. The blowback is that it also affects caving as well. Most of you are aware of the 'moratorium' against informed cavers visiting caves in that state. This will affect those who know, not the huge numbers of unaffilliated *and* unknowing spelunkers/youth, church, college groups, cave-for pay... It is a responsibility of those in this forum who mentor said groups to share this WNS info personally with your groups. Or better seek out groups you are only aware of to inform them of this devastating problem.
They need to be coached about not visiting more than one cave in a day/weekend/week, unless they can properly decon between caves. ( not going to happen ) The decon procedures are doable, and group gear needs to be attended to as well. Separating contaminated gear in 'dirty' bags and keeping its contents from the clean bags takes some concentration, not usually a quality of youth. Rubber boots can be cleaned with straight bleach. I see so many youths still wearing sneakers today. No ankle support is dangerous.
The NECC contacted about 80 organizations to bring them up to date on WNS. This is a goal we all need to work toward.
karstmd
Infrequent Poster

Name: Miles Drake
NSS #: x12524

Re: Youth Groups and WNS

Postby amaddox » Mar 9, 2009 7:30 am

Fortunatly this is a topic of get concern for many people. I've seen it posted and discussed on several Boy Scout and Venturing forums as well.
Thanks and keep spreading the word,

Allen
nssyouth@caves.org
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby karstmd » Mar 16, 2009 9:33 pm

Not sure you got my point. It is not somebody else calling your contacts. It is you (pl), the NSS Youth Group cavers. You have the contacts. As a group, what are you doing? Seven days later.... One weekend of uninformed, potentially contaminated multiple cave visitation....
karstmd
Infrequent Poster

Name: Miles Drake
NSS #: x12524

Postby amaddox » Mar 17, 2009 7:37 am

I appreciate your vote of confidence that as a committee we have this much influence. We are a small handful of volunteers that do what we can. As of now there has not been anyone, who has stepped up to the plate to be a Regional Coordinator for NRO and VAR which are the main geographical areas of concern. I (singular) cover the MAR as the Regional Coordinator. I can only contact those who I know, post the warnings on the web site, and hope that those who don’t reach out to us get the word through their own forums where the information has been spread.
As a committee, we are always looking for volunteers to reach out to youth groups and help them become ethical cavers. If this is something you feel you can contribute too, please send me your contact information and how you feel you can fit in with our mission to nssyouth@caves.org.

Allen
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Return to Youth Groups Forum