Youth FAQ - Remaining Questions

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Youth FAQ - Remaining Questions

Postby lookingaround » Dec 31, 2005 12:27 pm

Hello All,

Below is the list of remaining Youth Caving FAQ questions. We'd like to get this finished up by the end of Winter and would appreciate it if people would look the questions over and offer their expertise and suggestions for answers (or even more questions)!

Thanks!
[b]
[u]How do we find a good cave?

Why won’t you just tell us where the caves are so that we can go?

What is “wildâ€
Last edited by lookingaround on Jan 1, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lookingaround
Occasional Poster

Postby amaddox » Jan 1, 2006 11:21 am

Will this be posted in the Youth Group site?
The FAQ looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project.

Allen
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby Patricia Bingham » Jan 3, 2006 9:29 am

Yup, this will be posted on the website.
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Postby Teresa » Jan 3, 2006 12:04 pm

I wouldn't even mention the last three questions in an FAQ. It gives people too many ideas they may not have thought of. Be proactive. Use a question like: "What things are not permitted on youth group trips? Then list things like collecting/diving, and proper adult/youth ratio. I wouldn't bring up peeing in a bottle as perversion, at all. (After all, that topic, esp. when applied to girls and women has to get rather graphic to be of any use. Better leave that to the youth and cave leaders to work out only if needed). (Most beginning youth shouldn't be on a trip that long, anyway.)
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 3, 2006 1:17 pm

Great idea to have the FAQs. Thanks for your work on this. Many of the answers can come directly from the Youth Group Caving sheets that are on the Youth Group Web site -- they should always be in agreement.
Some additional comments and suggestions:

Why won't you just tell us where the caves are so that we can go?

I suggest instead: "Why won't you just tell us where the caves are so that we can go caving on our own?"

Don't caves have passages that are miles long? What if you get lost?

I don't know what answer you're looking for, however I suggest replacing this with: "Could we get lost in the cave?" (If you keep your original, replace "you" with "we.") This way you don't address what the reader should do if s/he is lost in a cave, but rather discuss how having a guide who is an experienced caver and familiar with the cave is the best way to ensure the group will not get lost.

Will our guide take us to a cave where we can find stalactites to take home?

I think it is better to not even suggest the idea of taking cave formations. I suggest instead: What do you mean by "take only pictures and leave only footprints?" Remember that even a list of FAQ is important PR, regardless of whether the viewer views the answers. This way you can also discuss not collecting or disturbing artifacts or animals, as well as minerals and speleothems.

Are there bears or bats in caves?

Maybe instead (since people also worry about snakes....): "Will there be animals in cave?" This gives you the opportunity to discuss the animals the cavers may see and the need to respect and not touch them, as well as say that there are not likely to be any dangers from animals that may be encountered.

What do you think about adding these questions:
--"Why do we need an experienced caver to guide us?"
--"Isn't caving dangerous?" (Opens the door for a short discussion of risks and the necessity of proper equipment, training and guide, as well as selecting the right cave for novices.)
--What will young people learn by going caving? (answered here http://www.caves.org/youth/YGLC%20paren ... 202005.pdf ).
--"Who owns the caves?" (This opens a discussion of landowner relations and trespassing)
--"What do you mean by "responsible caving"?" Then you can bring the important points together in a short list that includes proper equipment and training, obtaining landowner permission, leaving info with someone on the surface, having a guide and adequate adult:youth ratio, and observing conservation ethics.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby lookingaround » Jan 14, 2006 9:33 pm

Teresa wrote:I wouldn't even mention the last three questions in an FAQ. It gives people too many ideas they may not have thought of. Be proactive. Use a question like: "What things are not permitted on youth group trips? Then list things like collecting/diving, and proper adult/youth ratio. I wouldn't bring up peeing in a bottle as perversion, at all. (After all, that topic, esp. when applied to girls and women has to get rather graphic to be of any use. Better leave that to the youth and cave leaders to work out only if needed). (Most beginning youth shouldn't be on a trip that long, anyway.)

Sounds good. We'll post a revised question list... Thanks!
lookingaround
Occasional Poster

Postby lookingaround » Jan 14, 2006 9:55 pm

Cheryl,
Thanks for the input!

Here is a revised question list.

Feel free to suggest answers! :-)

---
[u][b]How do we find a good cave?

Why won't you just tell us where the caves are so that we can go caving on our own?

What is “wildâ€
lookingaround
Occasional Poster

Return to Youth Groups Forum