Best NSS Videos/Slide Shows for Youth?

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Best NSS Videos/Slide Shows for Youth?

Postby Patricia Bingham » Dec 9, 2005 6:14 am

I'd like to have a page of video or slide show recommendations for the youth website. Anyone have some input? There is a great one of this BSA troop somewhere in Wyoming or some such place. Vertical work, neat caves, and all that. I was jealous!

Would like recommendations for conservation, general caving, and things of that ilk. If you want write a short blurb describing it from a youth groups perspective

Remember, we're talking of folks who have probably never caved before (so lots of inside humor would be lost on them) AND who probably have an even shorter attention span than do I.
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 9, 2005 11:29 am

I bet you're looking for reviews from people who've worked with youth groups, however Dave Socky, Audiovisual library chairman, and Alex Sproul might be able to help. They're pretty familiar with the programs in the AV library, and could at least suggest a list of good shows to post on the Web page.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Dan Sullivan » Dec 9, 2005 1:37 pm

Hi Pat.
Here are a couple I've shown to school groups.

We are Cavers and We are Rescuers would be a good one. Short, humorous, and to the point. (I'm not sure if that is the exact name of the vidoe or not.)

National Geographics has one out thats part of their young explorers series called Mysteries Underground. It's kind of long, but the nariative is geared more toward younger people.

There is another rather humorous one that deals with tresspassing issues called Five Short Hours of Caving. It's 15 minutes long and done to music. I bought it from Inner Realm Books at convention and is a Dave Socky production.
Dan Sullivan

Postby amaddox » Dec 15, 2005 12:34 pm

Dan Sullivan wrote:Hi Pat.

We are Cavers and We are Rescuers would be a good one. Short, humorous, and to the point. (I'm not sure if that is the exact name of the vidoe or not.)

National Geographics has one out thats part of their young explorers series called Mysteries Underground. It's kind of long, but the nariative is geared more toward younger people.

There is another rather humorous one that deals with tresspassing issues called Five Short Hours of Caving. It's 15 minutes long and done to music. I bought it from Inner Realm Books at convention and is a Dave Socky production.

Dan,
Do you have a source for any of these?

Allen
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 15, 2005 5:18 pm

Try IMO. http://www.caves.org/imo/ Alex carries a lot of caving AV programs. They are also available (to borrow) from the NSS AV Library.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Herman Miller » Dec 19, 2005 1:06 pm

i apologize if it isnt what you are looking for but the "coolest" caving videos i have ever seen were done by
http://www.realmsofreality.com
as for use permission id ask one of our own members, Realms
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Best NSS Videos/Slides For Youth

Postby texascavers » Dec 20, 2005 8:55 am

I have a copy of the tape below that I show to youth groups before I take them caving.

It's a very well done tape, in that it's very informative, beautifully photographed, teaches good techniques, and moves at a good clip without boring the viewer.

Here's the NSS lIbrary Info on the one I like and use:

CAVE CONSERVATION AND ETHICS This 12 minute video is designed to foster a greater understanding of the world underground, to encourage safe enjoyment and to promote efforts for the conservation of these unique resources. It is not intended as a "How to" video of caving techniques.

V206
Conservation
Tom Zannes ?2000. Electronic Films, Inc and Guadalupe Mountains Association
Professional

11:26 minutes. Comment: Winner of the Best of Show at 2001 NSS Photo Salaon

I also have a copy of the caving tape someone mentioned here that was put out by a Boy Scout Troop up in Indiana or somewhere. It was a bit tedious and long-winded, plus at over 100 minutes in length, I've found it too much, too long, and not really applicable to the type of caves we visit here in Texas.

(I just found it. Here's the info on it:)

A SCOUTING APPROACH TO WILD CAVES The NSS has long wished it had a good video introduction to caving. Well, the Scouts have beaten them to it! This very thorough production looks at everything from caving equipment and techniques, to cavern genesis, to vertical work and self-rescue. And it's all neatly packaged into 10-minute chapters. This program is very professional and won a Merit Award at the 1999 Video Salon.
V112
Safety & Techniques
Terry Wall, ?1998, Troop 381, Shawnee Mission, KS
Professional
102:41 minutes. Comment: won a Merit Award at the 1999 Video Salon.)

Later,

Mark Alman
texascavers
New Poster

Postby Dan Sullivan » Dec 22, 2005 12:16 pm

amaddox wrote:
Dan Sullivan wrote:Hi Pat.

Dan,
Do you have a source for any of these?

Allen

Hello Allen,
Looks like all three video's are listed in IMO's catalog, but the National Geo one is out of stock. If you want a copy, let me know and I'll burn and send you one on VHS.

You might try Rich Wolford at Inner Realm books if you want a first hand copy. He will go out of his way to find what ever you are looking for, be it a book or video. He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met, and is dearly missed here in Colorado. We never knew how good we had it till Rich moved away. :( If you want his E-mail or phone number, PM me and I'll PM you back.
Dan Sullivan

Return to Youth Groups Forum