Elko Nevada & Venturing Scouts

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Elko Nevada & Venturing Scouts

Postby lah0116 » Feb 8, 2007 9:12 am

I am looking at starting a caving Venturing Crew in the Elko/Ely Nevada area. Venturing is a youth development program of the Boy Scouts of America for young men and women who are 14 (and have completed the eighth grade) through 20 years of age. Venturing's purpose is to provide positive experiences to help young people mature and to prepare them to become responsible and caring adults.

I would appreciate hearing from interested persons (both participants & adult volunteers) in the Nevada area. I would also like input from others who have started spelunking Venturing Crews in their areas.
lah0116
New Poster

Postby speloman » Feb 8, 2007 11:36 pm

Any luck getting a hold of Neil? of the NNG
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Re: Elko Nevada & Venturing Scouts

Postby amaddox » Feb 9, 2007 11:15 am

lah0116 wrote:I am looking at starting a caving Venturing Crew in the Elko/Ely Nevada area. Venturing is a youth development program of the Boy Scouts of America for young men and women who are 14 (and have completed the eighth grade) through 20 years of age. Venturing's purpose is to provide positive experiences to help young people mature and to prepare them to become responsible and caring adults.

I would appreciate hearing from interested persons (both participants & adult volunteers) in the Nevada area. I would also like input from others who have started spelunking Venturing Crews in their areas.

I'm looking at the possibilities of putting together one here in Southeastern PA. I'd be interested in sharing details on putting this together. I'd also like to put together a national network of caving specific Crews.
The Venturing Program (I got yeld at for calling it Scouts) is the best program for young adults to come along in a long time.

Are you on the Venturing yahoo group?

Please feel free to contact me at trailsitter@yahoo.com

Allen Maddox
Pennsylvania Regional Coordinator for the NSS Youth Group Liaison Committee
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Venture crew in Carlsbad New Mexico

Postby hardcorecaver » Feb 9, 2007 5:33 pm

Hello I am Lucas middleton.I am an active member of a boy scout troop. We have a venture crew in Carlsbad New Mexico
Are crews name is Speleo Venture Crew 204. It is youth run. I am currenty the president of the crew. We go cave at least once a month. We stared are surveying cave. Iam the only youth that does vertical now but we plan to start verical.if you have any questions just pm me thanks . Hardcorecaver :grin:
Life good when you carbide caving.
hardcorecaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Lucas Middleton
NSS #: 56420
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pecos Valley Grotto

Welcome

Postby monicak » Feb 18, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi Hardcorecaver and Lah0116,
Congratulations on being part of a venture crew. I am sure this board has given you an interesting perspective on going underground. keep an ear out for educational opportunities. My fondest hope is that you can use your hobby to find a career.
Best wishes, Monica
monicak
Occasional Poster

N NV Grotto.

Postby climbingallday » Feb 20, 2007 10:35 am

I'm the N. NV Grotto Chair. I'll contact you via e-mail to discuss details. I look forward to assisting you with your venture and helping instill a strong aspect of conservation and stewardship into the program. Protecting the caves must be the highest priority in this sort of venture. It is essential to both the developement of responsible young men and the reputation of the Boy Scouts of America. The bats and ancient formations will thank you as well in their own subtle ways.

Regards,
Neil Marchington
climbingallday
Infrequent Poster

Name: Neil Marchington
NSS #: 55850RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Oregon High Desert Grotto

Return to Youth Groups Forum