Anyone else work with Girl Scout troops?

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Re: Anyone else work with Girl Scout troops?

Postby myotis » Jul 10, 2008 11:36 pm

I have been a trip leader for an annual Girl Scout trip into a local Indiana cave for the last three years now. After the trip I'd then put on an educational presentation about caves and karst for the girls back at camp, utilizing some of the Project Underground ideas and whatever relevant videos I could get my hands on. It's always a rewarding experience, and the camp outdoor coordinator always goes out of her way to make us as cavers feel welcome. Actually, I frankly like working with the Girl Scout groups more than the Boy Scouts. They definitely are far less whiny and open to the new experiences that caving offers, once you get them to agree to go on that first trip. If anything, I had to dampen a few girls' enthusiasm somewhat just to keep the group together. I 'd like to encourage anyone who has ever thought about introducing youth groups of any kind to the world of caving to do so. Encouraging young people into becoming responsible and environmentally conscious cavers is the key to help making the caves of today safer for the future, I think.
Is this really necessary? Really? Ok......
myotis
Infrequent Poster

Re: Anyone else work with Girl Scout troops?

Postby cave rat » Jul 27, 2008 7:00 pm

I am in the process of writing a week long caving plan for a Girl Scout camp for next summer. I am also putting in a education portion on the caves, cave environment, and bats.
Cave Rat
NSS 46542RE
SCCI
Jackson County/Scottsboro Grotto
cave rat
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 46542RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson County-Scottsboro Grotto

Previous

Return to Youth Groups Forum