Vertical caving... risks the same or not?

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Postby Dwight Livingston » Sep 10, 2006 8:43 am

A "wimp walker" - what?
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby Teresa » Sep 11, 2006 6:56 pm

BSA insurance covers all sorts of 'risky' behavior, as long as the activity is being done according to BSA specs.

I don't know about vertical underground, but the first rope bridge I ever crossed was at age 10--built by 10-13 year old BSA members who were camping at the same state park as our GSA troop. And rockclimbing/rappelling is relatively common in the older BSA/Venture Crew set around here.

Teens on rope is not necessarily a bad thing with proper adult supervision.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

OK, it's OT, but...

Postby hank moon » Sep 11, 2006 7:21 pm

filox1 wrote:there is people up there suing McDonalds for having hot coffee... :roll:

Originally, there was no lawsuit - the lady only asked McDoh to pay her modest medical bills from the 3rd degree burns she received. They refused and it went on from there. Nobody knows what finally happened as the case settled out of court and the details kept confidential.

See below for more info on this often misunderstood case.

http://www.citizen.org/congress/civjus/ ... cfm?ID=785

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cob » Sep 12, 2006 8:52 am

not saying one way or the other on the wisdom of leading BSA trips, but...

Both of my sons were vert caving by the time they were 14. They were taught the basics in a tree, demonstrating enuf familiarity with the gear and the physical ability to do a change over before they were allowed to do a rappell and climb on an 80' bluff with someone on rope next to them and a bottom belay. Before they ever dropped a pit, they had to do a changeover with out any help at all. Their first pit was a 60' in STL co. owned by a friend of mine.

(Bob had an extreme fear of heights and spent hours in trees over coming it (at his own insistance), practicing changeovers with and with out various pieces of gear. By the time he dropped his 1st pit, he was more vert competent than many adults I know of who have been doing vert for years.)

In the years since, They have bought their own complete vert systems, paying for it out of their own pockets, and both have made several TAG trips, dropping such classics as Neversink, Stevens Gap, Valhalla and more. When Bob was 14 he made his first Mexico trip (he paid for it) where he dropped Cepilla (sp?), tho I did draw the line at Golandrinas (I was unsure of his ability to handle the rope weight)

My point: Teenagers are every bit as capable as adults, one has only to hold them to the same standards.... Which unfortunately, all too many adults are not held to.

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Youth Groups Forum