Giving a presentation to Elementary School Kids - Need Ideas

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Giving a presentation to Elementary School Kids - Need Ideas

Postby CaverScott » Oct 4, 2006 10:47 am

Hey Gang - Jules and I are going to give a presenation to some Elementary School (Gifted) children. :shock:

Does anyone have a pre-made powerpoint show they have designed to be used in this format?

Please email me directly as I don't check this daily: scottfeeatbellsouthdotnet
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby George Dasher » Oct 4, 2006 2:31 pm

Take a carbide lamp and pass it around after it has run some.

Elementary school kids love to smell the spent carbide and make faces.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Carbide vs Electric....

Postby CaverScott » Oct 4, 2006 3:45 pm

Naturally, that would mean us all-electric cavers would have to procure one. The HORROR! :rofl: I don't even think my old lamps work George! :shock:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby Scott Shaw » Oct 5, 2006 10:41 am

I've got one one ridgewalking and topo maps I gave several months ago at the HGN meeting. Might give you a starting point.
Alabama Cave Survey - Cave Files Director (Send me your new caves and updates)
Scott Shaw
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 30571
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alabama Cave Survey

Postby Wayne Harrison » Oct 5, 2006 12:44 pm

Jack & Jill magazine featured a four-page article on caving a few years ago with my daughter and Hazel Barton and it is written from an elementary-school perspective. <a href="http://www.pinecam.com/coloradocaving.com//caving_jandj1.html">Click here to read it</a>.

What I really liked was the opening line about seeing a side of the mountains that few people get to see -- the UNDERSIDE! I had never thought of caving like that until I read it. Maybe reading it will give you some ideas.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby chaz » Oct 12, 2006 7:37 am

I have been asked to speak to a 6th grade class.....now I'm looking for suggestions. I will bring a cap lamp. I have some pictures to pass around. How do I talk about conservation without boring them? Help!
Respect the past and learn, Be active in the present and enjoy, Contribute to the future in a constructive manner. Chaz NSS 55321
chaz
Frequent Poster

Postby cob » Oct 12, 2006 10:04 am

chaz wrote: have been asked to speak to a 6th grade class.....now I'm looking for suggestions. I will bring a cap lamp.

I did this several times for my sons classes. I always brought ALL of my gear, vert gear, wetsuit, lights etc. Kids love to pick it up and check it all out, try on the wetsuit, here the pop and smell of carbide, etc.

I have some pictures to pass around.

A buddy of mine had a canned slide show (w/ music) I suggest if you have the time and equipment, make one up, that way they all see the pics at the same time.

How do I talk about conservation without boring them?

I always brought the makings (well, not all the makings) of a burrito for them to see and explain to them (w/ the teachers approval). That always got their attention (EEEWWWWW!!!!) and showed them in a way that words alone never could how special and fragile these places are.

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Youth Groups Forum