BSA Adult Leader Training; Need Input

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

BSA Adult Leader Training; Need Input

Postby Patricia Bingham » Oct 3, 2006 4:28 am

The local BSA council (DC/Northern VA area) is interested in having an intro to caving class for their "Scout University". I don't have the details yet, but I think this is to be a 45 minute class on caving for adult leaders only. Things I want to hit are BSA requirements for caving and what has happened in the past to BSA folks who did silly (or who did everything right) things in caves and needed assistance. In other words, why we are so darned adamant on the safety thing. Also will hit safety, conservation, and ethics.

What could make this presentation more interesting/appealing/fun for them?

There are plans to follow this up with a training session with cave visitation with BSA leaders. I'd like to train some BSA leaders how to correctly lead a group in one specific cave. This might alleviate some of the frustration on both "sides" when it come to youth group requests to grottos for cave trips.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on making this the best 45 minutes ever?
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Postby Andy Shoun » Oct 3, 2006 7:35 am

I'm a Scout leader and have presented caving to a roundtable. Also, made about 4 presentations to Troops prior to visiting a cave. I have been doing the following:
- dress for the presentation in my cave gear with a loaded pack (makes it easy to talk about equipment) (no vertical gear)
- bring pictures of scouts in a cave
- provide copies of the NSS "gear check list" and "guide to responsible caving"
- provide copies of the BSA cave policy
- bring copies of the Venturing Ranger Cave Exploring pamplet
- bring maps of come area caves
That should more than fill your time.
-Not all who wander are lost.
Andy Shoun
Frequent Poster

Postby Andy Shoun » Oct 3, 2006 7:43 am

Another idea, bring a wire coat hanger and see who can put their body through it. It is a fun gathering game.
-Not all who wander are lost.
Andy Shoun
Frequent Poster

Postby amaddox » Oct 3, 2006 12:11 pm

Pat,

I did a Powder Horn a few weeks back with another caver buddy of mine. He did the fun stuff, I went over the BSA caving policy and highlighted it with a few FAQ that I get as well as FAQ about the Caving Elective for the Ranger Award. I had a hand out sheet with most of this on it as well as my e-mail address and the NSS Youth Group web site in encourage them to ask questions later that they thought of.
Trying to cram everything into 1 hour was tuff.

Allen
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Return to Youth Groups Forum