Youth FAQ - Helmets

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Youth FAQ - Helmets

Postby lookingaround » Oct 1, 2005 10:33 pm

Now that the board is back up, here is another try at the helmet FAQ question. Please provide any comments, suggestions, or feedback!

Thanks!

What type of helmet should I use? Can I use a bicycle/snowmobile/motorcycle/other helmet?
There are several types of helmets available that offer different levels of protection.

In order of protection offered, these are:

Caving or climbing helmets
These should meet UIAA (Union Internationale des Association d'Alpinisme) standards. These generally offer the best protection.

Helmets that meet ANSI Z89.1-1997 Type II specifications
Helmets that are listed as ANSI Z89.1 Type II have passed tests for top impacts, lateral (side) impacts, and chin strap retention (when using the correct chin strap). Note that type “IIâ€
lookingaround
Occasional Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Oct 1, 2005 11:23 pm

What's a "g" as in "300gs"? Gravity as in G-force? (Can't be grams!) What is a 300 gand 150 g fall? Any idea? How many gs does a UIAA helmet allow to be impacted to the wearer's head? (Just trying to get my head around the numbers, and figure normal parents reading the blurb may be in the same boat).

Thanks.
Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

re:Youth FAQ - Helmets

Postby amaddox » Oct 2, 2005 9:10 am

Thanks for putting this back on the "board". This is good solid information that can be used by youth group leaders.

Allen
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby lookingaround » Oct 2, 2005 9:01 pm

Cheryl wrote:What's a "g" as in "300gs"? Gravity as in G-force? (Can't be grams!) What is a 300 gand 150 g fall? Any idea? How many gs does a UIAA helmet allow to be impacted to the wearer's head?

Yes “gâ€
lookingaround
Occasional Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Oct 2, 2005 11:10 pm

I think it could be useful to use the g-force comparison, but it would probably be a good idea to spell out g-force with a (g) behind it the first time you use it. And I believe that the protocol is for the little g should be italicized. but I'm not a physicist!

It seems that it isn't uncommon for youth leaders and parents think that a bicycle helmet would work for caving, so think that the discussion is important. And of course think that a discussion of helmet choices in general is very important.

Thanks for working on this.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Too many standards!

Postby lookingaround » Nov 7, 2005 10:27 pm

Is there anybody out there that is an expert in physics, human physiology, and government regulations with some spare time? :grin: If so, please consider the following…

If you are in the US and fortunate enough to be employed in climbing or caving, what helmet should you wear on the job? Perhaps not that climbing helmet that is UIAA and CE rated... Your employer could find themselves in trouble if your helmet isn’t ANSI Z89.1 rated or “demonstrated to be equally effective.“ (required on the job per OSHA regs ).

Surprisingly, none of the popular Petzl sport helmets seem to have ANSI Z89.1 certification. Perhaps they just don’t bother with that testing for their sport products. But, even more surprising, the Petzl work helmets are only ANSI Z89.1 Type I certified – not the more stringent Type II (with side impact tests).

This leads to the question, is UIAA/CE certification better than ANSI Type II? Perhaps the newer ANSI Z89.1 Type II certification is equal to or better than UIAA/CE? If so, should the order of preference change in the FAQ helmet question?

Are there any experts out there who can interpret the differences in the test criteria?
lookingaround
Occasional Poster

Return to Youth Groups Forum