Why Youth Group Caving?

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Why Youth Group Caving?

Postby amaddox » Sep 25, 2005 12:22 pm

Most of my caving is done with youth groups. Most of that is done with Scouts. There are many reasons for doing this. Some are very self-rewarding and selfish. Some are to help the bigger picture.
When you take a youth caving, you are presented with the possibility to making a very positive and constructive impression on the minds of these youth. These youth have the potential to be the next members of your grotto or the NSS. These youth have the potential to have major influence in industry and politics. These youth, someday, will be registered voters. What they learn now will impact the decisions they make when they are no longer the youth of our country.
This is just one of the many reason why youth group caving is very important to me. Why is it important to you??

Allen Maddox
Philly Grotto Youth Group Liaison
Pennsylvania Regional Coordinator for the NSS Youth Group Liaison Committee
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby Wayne Harrison » Sep 25, 2005 1:09 pm

In addition to teaching proper safety and conservation, I really enjoy watching the reaction of those who "get it" and who react in a way that you know they will become lifetime cavers. It brings back memories of the wonder and awe at an environment that was so alien that I had on my first trips.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Its a very cool responsibility

Postby Realms » Sep 25, 2005 4:56 pm

It is cool taking a bunch of youngsters to a cave and seeing the awe in their eyes as they see the cool things caves have to offer. I have led several youth trips in the past and every one has been a great time for all involved. We try and stress teamwork and conservation. Respect for the cave is way up there with safety. We carry the torch. If the torch is to remain lit we must pass it on from time to time.
This is a scout group we took a few months back. They really had a blast.
If you can take a kid who thinks they are not good with anything and you can show them that they can be good at something then that is an awesome gift and it will stay with them for the rest of their lives.
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cave rat » Sep 25, 2005 10:31 pm

I take youth like the BSA and GSA caving to give them a chance to learn something about Mother Earth that they might not learn in a classroom. All my trips are educational and fun. I get enjoyed when a group that I lead comes out of the cave and says that they had the best time of their lives. I then know that I have done something right and the trip went good.
Cave Rat
NSS 46542RE
SCCI
Jackson County/Scottsboro Grotto
cave rat
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 46542RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson County-Scottsboro Grotto

Postby amaddox » Sep 26, 2005 11:48 am

You guys are talking about the best parts of youth caving. I remember one guy the whole time saying over and over "This is so cool, this is so cool". I've even had youths e-mail asking to go again.
The best one was this this one boy who just freaked entering the cave. He didn't know he was claustrophobic. We sat outside for a couple minutes and talked about it. I told him he was in control and didn't have to do anything he wanted to do, but the cave wasn't going to come down on me so if he stuck with me he'd be OK. He decided to give it another try and we talked to whole time in there (he didn't know it was just so I could hear if he was having trouble again). After the trip he was grinning ear to ear. This gave him one big emotional boost.
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Youth group Caving

Postby speloman » Oct 1, 2005 11:11 pm

Youth group Caving is important to me for many reasons. For starters it is what got me into caving. I was already into rappelling thru the boy scouts and fell in love with it. I then joined a church group and they said they were going to rappell into a cave. I said sign me up not knowing what to expect, I just wanted to rappel. When we had got to the cave I was so excited and couldn't Waite (plus the 8 hr ride was cramped and miserable). Armed with our Bike Helmets and Head Light, and two other flashlights we rappelled into the 60 ft pit. (I look at pictures of that trip and shake my head and roll my eyes.) :roll: I didn't know any better I was a youth being led. But back to the story. I was so aw struck by the beauty of the underground world. The toothy Stalactites and stalagmites. and the Huge Column in the back room I knew I was going to do this for life. I must say if it wasn't for that trip I would not be a caver. After that trip I researched caving and boy it was a whole different story. I found out that we shouldn't have had bike helmets but caving helmets. And that there is a Group of people who cave all the time (GROTTO'S). So I head out and got me a little job, I was 14 at the time so mowing lawns I am sure paints the picture, and bought my own caving Gear, and lucky me I had gotten a Erin Roc for Christmas. :calvin: . at the age of 14 I spent $300.00 on gear so I guess you can say I wanted to do this right. I mean shoot I could have spent that money on Video games, but here is something better than video games. I joined the Local grotto and now I am Taking youth into caves, and teaching them the right way. The way I was never taught. Like many others said the faces of the kids when they see a cave. Money can't By that happiness. Now I am 22 and still caving (And Spending money on Gear :wink: ) my wife can vouch for that. I am not good at writing stuff like this but I couldn't pass it up. this is a great thread.
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Re: Why Youth Group Caving?

Postby lookingaround » Nov 13, 2005 11:11 pm

The majority of my caving is also youth group caving. I find youth group caving fun and rewarding; although at times it can have its challenges! I really enjoy hearing the kids talk about a trip when we return.

My wife is a science teacher. When she was a student teacher, her cooperating teacher “Shafâ€
lookingaround
Occasional Poster

Postby Patricia Bingham » Nov 15, 2005 6:00 am

I went to the website. The photos are great! Can I use some of them on the NSS Youth Groups site?

Still having severe computer problems and I can't access this website as often as I'd like. Bear with me please.
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Postby lookingaround » Nov 20, 2005 9:32 pm

Patricia Bingham wrote:I went to the website. The photos are great! Can I use some of them on the NSS Youth Groups site?
Sure! Send a PM or e-mail with your postal address and we'll mail a CD with pictures that you can use when your computer gets fixed! :P
lookingaround
Occasional Poster

Return to Youth Groups Forum