A clever post trip dressing room.

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

A clever post trip dressing room.

Postby Grandpa Caver » Mar 23, 2015 8:40 pm

One of my grottoes favorite youth group caves requires parking in a public area where discretion when changing clothes is a problem. I explained this to one scout troop prior to their first visit and believe their solution is worth sharing. They arrived in three vehicles and parked side by side. On our return they opened each opposing vehicle door and clothes-pinned an old sheet between each pair of doors. This afforded them enough privacy and in their case, a girls and boys side.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Re: A clever post trip dressing room.

Postby amaddox » Mar 24, 2015 7:03 am

I like this idea. I have tried similar ideas, draping a tarp over the rear lift gate of an SUV. That really didn't work out well as only one person at a time could change. Your idea, you can separate the cars as far apart as you need to and can do. I'm going to pass this along.
Thanks,
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby Phil Winkler » Mar 24, 2015 10:40 am

This is funny. European cavers/people simply are not modest. Years ago, Gerhardt Schmitt and his girlfriend, Heinke, came over here from Germany and we (Huntsville Grotto) were taking them to Ledbetter Saltpeter Cave down near Lake Guntersville. We parked in the owner's driveway area after asking permission. As we all started putting on our coveralls Heinke simply stripped to her panties and put her's on. She was also bra-less. Several of the cavers just stared with their mouths open.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby tncaver » Apr 16, 2015 8:45 am

Ironically I know of several cavers in TN and Alabama who basically do the same thing and don't care who sees them.

Phil Winkler wrote:This is funny. European cavers/people simply are not modest. Years ago, Gerhardt Schmitt and his girlfriend, Heinke, came over here from Germany and we (Huntsville Grotto) were taking them to Ledbetter Saltpeter Cave down near Lake Guntersville. We parked in the owner's driveway area after asking permission. As we all started putting on our coveralls Heinke simply stripped to her panties and put her's on. She was also bra-less. Several of the cavers just stared with their mouths open.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 19, 2015 8:46 pm

I was a tender teenager when I went to the '76 convention and learned that cavers just strip down to change and have no modesty. It was a shock to me then, but I quickly got on board. Now I'm mostly worried about being arrested, so I made my own personal changing tent. It's a giant poncho that hangs down to my knees. It works well enough, even though it's not perfect.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby amaddox » Apr 20, 2015 11:33 am

A poncho. Cleaver idea. I'll have to keep one in the car....
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 20, 2015 8:41 pm

I have always enjoyed the hot tub at Old Timer's and at conventions.

At the 1974 convention in Deplorah Iowa I was on a Honda mini-trail in the campground heading for the showers in the field house and stopped to give Jill Moody Ediger a ride. She told me to use the showers in the dorm where she and her friends shared a room to change in, etc. After she got her change of clothes we walked down the hall and I started to go into the one marked Men's SHower, but Jilly said "no, not that one." Then we passed one that said Women's Showers and she not that one either. Then we came to one that just said Showers and went in and everybody in the world was in there, male, female, young and old. Quite an experience I must say. I found it only took a few minutes to get used to total nudity.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Return to Youth Groups Forum