Caving in Colorado

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Caving in Colorado

Postby river_runner21 » Dec 27, 2013 4:24 pm

Hello, my name is Ian Roberts and I am the Director of Colorado Mountain Camp, located in Bailey, CO. I am looking for any information on non-commercial public or private caves that would be accessible in summer 2014. I operate a high end adventure program for youth ages 7-18 with the primary goal of exposing them to the out-of-doors and building a foundation and appreciation for nature.

We will have a small group of teens this summer who I want to expose to caving in order to show them that caves are worth conserving and fighting for. I am interested in any information that can be provided to me, or someone who is willing to come in and lead a trip or two for us. You can find more information about our program at www.avid4.com and www.coloradomountaincamp.com

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Ian Roberts
ian@avid4.com
river_runner21
Infrequent Poster

Re: Caving in Colorado

Postby caverdan » Dec 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Hello Ian,
I would try going to a Colorado Grotto meeting and talk to those good folks. I bet they can help answer your questions. They meet the first Thursday of the month at Perry and Terry Collision in downtown Denver, at 7:00pm.

Both Cave of the Winds and Glenwood Caverns have kid programs and work with youth groups. That is another option and would offer more than just a day of caving. They have a high ropes course up at Cave of the Winds that is way cool and all the kids can be on it at the same time. Glenwood Caverns has a whole theme park on top of their mountain.

All the wild caves I know of are on USFS land and you will need to apply for a permit through them. The application and info is found on the USFS web site. Hope this helps.
Dan
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Return to Youth Groups Forum