More than Just Scouts

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

More than Just Scouts

Postby amaddox » Sep 13, 2013 10:40 am

It seems that way above and beyond the youth organization that gets the most attention as far as caving is Boy Scouts. Girl Scouts seems to come in second. But this is just my personal observation.
There are many other youth organizations. Some of the big national ones are YMCA, 4-H, Boys and Girls Club, AWANA. There are other local youth organizations, too. But I generally don't hear from these. I sure would like too.

Has anyone taken any other youth groups caving besides Scouts? Does anyone have any affiliation with any other youth organization besides Scouts?
Allen Maddox
NSS Youth Group Liaison Committee, Chair

http://www.youcave.org/
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Re: More than Just Scouts

Postby NZcaver » Sep 22, 2013 4:03 pm

I recall introducing a church youth group to caving many years ago, and I've been on trips with friends leading college outing club groups. But I think you're correct about the vast majority of young cavers groups being Scout-related. Most of the groups I've assisted or encountered in caves have been Scouts of one form or another.

You might want to contact some of the cave conservancies to ask if they keep records of youth groups visiting their caves. I recall the Northeastern Cave Conservancy has a special use policy requiring permits for groups to visit their caves.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Re: More than Just Scouts

Postby amaddox » Sep 22, 2013 4:54 pm

That's a good idea. I'll try to get hold of them.
Thanks,
Allen
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Return to Youth Groups Forum