Youth FAQ - What will young people learn by going caving?

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Youth FAQ - What will young people learn by going caving?

Postby lookingaround » Feb 12, 2006 10:07 pm

Here is another FAQ answer. Please give us your feedback. Thanks!

---
What will young people learn by going caving?
Learning opportunities will be different on every caving trip! What students see and experience varies depending upon the cave as well as the guide’s and other adults’ leadership styles.

Caving offers hands-on opportunities to learn about a wide variety of scientific & environmental topics. In karst formations, they will experience first hand the dramatic results of millions of years of erosion and deposition. They will also gain a new understanding of underground water systems and their importance. In lava tubes, cavers will witness an earth that is changing and renewing itself at a much faster pace (in a geological sense). All cavers will be introduced to fragile ecosystems that are home to interesting species. They may learn how we affect these ecosystems by our actions above and below the surface.

Additionally, for most participants, caving will be a new experience that takes them outside their comfort zone. Therefore, caving “levels the playing fieldâ€
lookingaround
Occasional Poster

Postby Teresa » Feb 12, 2006 10:49 pm

Sends a mixed message. First paragraph talks about science and environmental messages; second paragraph talks about *using* the cave for purely human social aims like building leadership or teamwork, and 'rolling in the mud'.

Where is the conservation message? Don't see one here.

And I really really don't think caves should be used for confidence building, and all that *(&@%! If they want that, try Outward Bound, or above ground ropes courses, adventure camps or such.

The good of the caves come first and we should be teaching respect for that easily damaged environment. Youth, especially, should NOT think of them as just another playground for their personal socialization.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Patricia Bingham » Feb 15, 2006 6:09 am

I don't think this promotes an "outward bound" theme or using the cave for leadership building. This states common observatons, that happen to be social observations. I think the last 2 sentences of the 2nd paragraph address the ecological/conservation topics.

And remember, caves that these youth should be visiting are not environmentally sensitive and are heavily traveled.

Theresa, do you have some different wording that we might could use?
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Postby Teresa » Feb 15, 2006 4:34 pm

Learning opportunities will be different on every caving trip! What students see and experience varies depending upon the cave as well as the guide’s and other adults’ expertise and leadership.

Caving can make stuffy lessons from science class come alive by actually seeing things they have studied. In carbonate caves, they will experience first hand the dramatic results of the power of water and fracturing on rock. They will learn to relate the underground to the water cycle, to water supplies, and to the effects of caves on both rural and urban areas. In lava tube areas, cavers will see how short a time is actually required to accomplish large geological changes. All cavers will be introduced to fragile ecosystems which are home to unique cave species. They may learn how human activity affects both above and below ground, and how they can learn to care for the planet.

For most participants, caving will be a new experience that takes them outside their comfort zone. Going caving requires students to assume responsibility for themselves and others, as well as function well within a group. Some skills and attributes (which they already possess) and which are needed for safe and careful caving may prove surprising discoveries as smaller and slower, more thoughtful students excel above their larger, faster, more athletic peers. Sloppy mud or other cave conditions may topple the usual social order in a class or youth group.

A good youth cave trip will answer some questions, and provoke others for further investigation. By the end of a good trip, students will have learned by doing
and have grown both in knowledge of the real world and of themselves.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Feb 15, 2006 5:12 pm

I can relate what I saw my daughter learn by going caving and that is what I would call character building. I don't know if this is true of everyone who goes caving, but perhaps it will give you some ideas.

She learned to overcome her fears and worries. She learned a lot about herself that she didn't know before: things she could accomplish, both physically and mentally. She first learned to "suck it up" by going caving. I still remember the first time she hit her helmet really hard against a rock and sort of stumbled. I expected her to start crying but she just said, "Just let me sit down for a minute" and I saw her eyes tear but she didn't cry. I think she learned this from seeing other cavers get minor bumps and injuries and carry on. She told me later she actually saw stars when she hit her head and I knew it was a pretty good bump. Pat, I think you were on that trip, too. It was in Reeds Cave and the rest of the group went on ahead to see a room while Margaret sat down and collected herself. She was ready to go by the time everyone came back.

She learned to take care of herself and not to depend on other people, whether route-finding or exploring.

I can't really put this into words adequately but I just know that she is a much stronger person as a result of all the experiences she's had while caving.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Patricia Bingham » Feb 15, 2006 8:17 pm

Teresa, this looks good, too. Ok, Lookingaround, you get to play editor! :)

I might leave out the "stuffy" word. As a former teacher, my hackles were kinda raised at this. :)

True, I'm sure some of my classes were "stuffy", but that's the way it has to be sometimes. ;) Limited budget, limited time; especially time....

How about substituting "stuffy lessons" for "classroom" lessons?

I think the Youth Groups Liaiso Committee could ue some more writers for different projects. Any volunteers? Teresa? :)

I don't remember Margaret having any problems. If I had seen stars, the rest of the group certainly would have known about it! Way to go, Margaret!! That was a good trip.
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Postby Patricia Bingham » Feb 15, 2006 8:19 pm

Ooops, I mean substitute "classroom lessons" for "stuffy lessons".
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Postby Teresa » Feb 16, 2006 8:37 am

Stuffy alliterates with science and I guess stuffy vs classroom depends upon whom you see as the audience for the piece. I was looking at that from the perspecitve of an adult or parent who was somewhat bored with pencil and paper lessons when they were in school and who'd rather their kids learn by doing. I have a non-academic background, and hence don't do edu-speak very well.

That said, this FAQ has been under group editing for some time, and don't expect my words to be left intact. Classroom is fine by me.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby lookingaround » Feb 25, 2006 10:33 pm

We have taken the feedback from this question and given it another try. Please post your comments and suggestions. Thanks!

---
Caving can reinforce many important concepts taught in school by allowing students to experience them first hand in ways that just can't be simulated in a classroom. In karst formations, they will see the power of water that produces dramatic results through many years of erosion and deposition. They will also gain a new understanding of underground water systems and their importance; their relationship to the water cycle and to water supplies; and their vulnerability to contamination in both rural and urban areas. In lava tube areas, cavers will see how short a time is actually required to accomplish some large geological changes. All cavers will be introduced to fragile ecosystems that are home to unique cave species. They may learn how human activity both above and below the ground affect these awe inspiring underground environments.

Additionally, for most participants, caving will be a new experience that takes them outside their comfort zone. Therefore, caving “levels the playing fieldâ€
lookingaround
Occasional Poster

Return to Youth Groups Forum