Peztl E53 (Accu4) / Sten Comparison

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Peztl E53 (Accu4) / Sten Comparison

Postby Herman Miller » Feb 25, 2010 3:15 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with both of these lighting systems. Additionally I can't find anything stating whether the Accu is waterproof or not (meaning its probably not).
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Re: Peztl E53 (Accu4) / Sten Comparison

Postby Herman Miller » Feb 26, 2010 2:19 pm

I guess it isn't suitable for caving...
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Feb 26, 2010 3:05 pm

bremen66 wrote:I guess it isn't suitable for caving...

From what I have gleamed from the Petzl in handling one and reviews. It is wonderful for what it is built for which is Adventure Racing and Ultras, but for caving a Sten Light would do much better.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Herman Miller » Feb 26, 2010 3:07 pm

thanks for the reply, I thought as much looking at pictures.
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby driggs » Feb 27, 2010 6:19 pm

The Petzl Ultra (E52 is the head-mount battery, E53 is belt-mount) has been discussed extensively on CaveChat and given a thumbs-down for caving use:

CaveChat: Petzl Ultra

CaveChat: New Petzl Headlamp
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby Cody JW » Feb 28, 2010 5:23 pm

driggs wrote:The Petzl Ultra (E52 is the head-mount battery, E53 is belt-mount) has been discussed extensively on CaveChat and given a thumbs-down for caving use:

CaveChat: Petzl Ultra

CaveChat: New Petzl Headlamp
I have posted this before but I can remember caving in all kinds of conditions with an old justrite electric (certainly not waterproof by todays standards) and not ever having a failure.It kind of makes me wonder how nessessary it is to be waterproof,obviously it is better to be but I and many others have used lesser lights back in the day and got lots of wet , vertical stuff done without the benifit of waterproof lights.I am sure the switch is most likely no better on an old justrite as some of the bright LED lights today that have been deemed "not cave worthy".I know the old lights are less complex from an electrical standpoint and that may be why they were used for many years without anyone being trappped without a light.Look at all the wet stuff that has been done with a carbide as the primary.It just makes me wonder.I am sure someone on this forum will "enlighten" me but I personally had no problem all those years with lights that were not waterproof doing wetsuit caves , wet drops ect.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby driggs » Feb 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Cody JW wrote:I have posted this before but I can remember caving in all kinds of conditions with an old justrite electric (certainly not waterproof by todays standards) and not ever having a failure.It kind of makes me wonder how nessessary it is to be waterproof,obviously it is better to be but I and many others have used lesser lights back in the day and got lots of wet , vertical stuff done without the benifit of waterproof lights.I am sure the switch is most likely no better on an old justrite as some of the bright LED lights today that have been deemed "not cave worthy".I know the old lights are less complex from an electrical standpoint and that may be why they were used for many years without anyone being trappped without a light.Look at all the wet stuff that has been done with a carbide as the primary.It just makes me wonder.I am sure someone on this forum will "enlighten" me but I personally had no problem all those years with lights that were not waterproof doing wetsuit caves , wet drops ect.

Your old JustRite electric was a battery, a bulb, and some wire. Period. Other than the battery itself, there is nothing to be damaged by water.

Modern regulated LED lights may contain complex circuitry with surface-mount components on dense, microprocessor-controlled circuit boards.

Just because you can dunk a flashlight without ruining it, would you do the same with your cell phone?

PS: I posted links to the existing threads so that people wouldn't start posting about the same topic in another duplicate thread.
Last edited by driggs on Feb 28, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby Cody JW » Feb 28, 2010 10:11 pm

Driggs, I understand what you are saying but what about the carbides,I am a bit of a history buff on past caving expeditons and have read about all the wet stuff done with carbide cap lamps.Back in the early 80s I have done my fair share of wet carbide caving.What you said about the justrite is my point, I think todays lights are great but in some respect I think they are getting very complex with electronic stuff that needs to be kept waterproof.Do I cave with the old lights now?no way.Are the new lights more fragile in a harsh environment? you bet.All I am saying is if you can cave all those years with a flame as your primary why are people being so picky about what works now?I think it depends on what you are getting into.If you cave every weekend in wet caves it is worth spending the 375 on a sten.But if you cave in a dry environment with maybe some wading in water will a 100 dollar Petzl LED that goes to 160 lumen work?I think it will.Or even some of the hardware store LED caplamps as long as you obey the backup light rule.I use a 130 lumen apex or the Fennix HP10 as I have other hobbies and do not cave each weekend.I guess I am just an old timer and I get dismayed by all the electronics used today.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Return to Equipment Forum