what gear first?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: what gear first?

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 8, 2010 9:23 pm

if you are worried about cleaning your boots or throwing them out...........spend a dollar at the car wash and pressure wash them, and save yourself some money........................ :roll:
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ArCaver » Feb 9, 2010 7:53 am

activeshooter wrote:if wellies=muck boot i think that the mud i have experienced would be a contra indicator of those i would lose them quick. as far as gear i have, ups will be delivering an petzl elios and a fenix hp10, monday. I have grubby clothes and underarmor type base layers. cheap but reliable handhelds for secondary and tertiary lights. decent leather boots and smartwool and woolblend socks. as far as a pack i've used a cheap backpack, but was wondering if a swaygo or the ilk is worth the $$$$$.
edited to add should i start acquiring vert gear but abstain from caving with it until wns is under control or has faded? I'm worried about the ramifications of protocols.

These work good for caving, and they are easy to decon. The chemicals won't destroy them although the laces might need to be replaced.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/G86103/ ... -Plain-Toe
I used these caving for years and still have a couple of pairs that I pulled out of storage recently. One pair has enough mileage that I used a utility knife to cut new tread, the rubber compound they use still grips well even when worn down. Not once was there an issue with mud pulling them off. I found they have two shortcomings. When you step in water over the tops it's irritating to have to take off the boots and dump them. I started using a soldering iron to drill a couple of drain holes on the inside just above the sole. The other problem was when tying the laces it's easy to pull too tight and cut the rubber. They can be repaired by sewing a strip of leather over the eyelets and piercing it for the laces, but as long as you're careful you can avoid this altogether.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Speedemon636 » Feb 12, 2010 9:31 pm

What about a small first-aid kit? Anyone carry those?
Speedemon636
Occasional Poster

Name: Matt

Postby NZcaver » Feb 13, 2010 1:03 am

Speedemon636 wrote:What about a small first-aid kit? Anyone carry those?

Yep. Some of us do. See this topic.

The forum search feature is your friend! :woohoo:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 13, 2010 9:12 am

swaygo's are wroth the money if you are constantly in wet caves, or caves you have to crawl and drag your pack behind you. I cant imagine using a back pack for more than 1 or 2 trips. Too big, too bulky, too many zippers that get clogged with mud, grime, dirt, then stop working. Imagine not being able to zip your pack back up and your crap is spilling out everywhere as your walk. I have a lost creek TAG pack and a swaygo. In dryer caves I use my lost creek pack, as it has the ability to be worn as a side pack or back pack. It makes stoop walking a cinch or squeezing through canyon's easy, when you can move your pack from your back, to your side or stomach by just moving it. The swaygo doesnt work that way but its a very low profile pack that can be worn on the back and get through "most" areas.

My first several trips i used a camelbak hawg pack, and the zippers got destroyed. Ever since I have had the lost creek or swaygo sink pack and i love them both.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby creektrails » Feb 13, 2010 4:50 pm

wow, that sink pack is about 100.00 :yikes: Has anyone ever used this pack? http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0128M.html I like the shoulderr straps but It doesnt look as strong as the swaygo. It does have a lifetime warranty though.
creektrails
Occasional Poster

Postby ArCaver » Feb 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Speedemon636 wrote:What about a small first-aid kit? Anyone carry those?

Duct tape and Tylenol.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby YuccaPatrol » Feb 13, 2010 9:09 pm

creektrails wrote: Has anyone ever used this pack? http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0128M.html I like the shoulderr straps but It doesnt look as strong as the swaygo. It does have a lifetime warranty though.

If you cave very much at all, you will certainly take advantage of that lifetime warranty many times over."Regular" non-caving gear simply isn't built to withstand the abuse of caves.

I really like my Lost Creek packs, but those are the only ones I have experience with. . . . .
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby creektrails » Feb 14, 2010 8:14 am

I cave in a very wet cave sre any of the lost creek packs waterproof?
creektrails
Occasional Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 14, 2010 9:25 am

No, the swaygo is waterproof.

My lost creek tag pack i melted holes through the bottom and installed grommits to drain water. when I use the pack in wet caves i use 5L seal line drybags to keep things dry, as well as dry boxes. this makes the pack a flotation device in deeper water where you have to swim, it also allows the pack to float so you dont lose it if you drop it. Before I installed the grommits i was constantly opening the top and draining the water out. it got old.

the only bad part about swaygo's, while its waterproof, putting wet items in it isn't viable if as it will soak the rest of the things you want to keep dry. regardless i love my swaygo sink.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 14, 2010 12:35 pm

I do the same as Chad with the lost creek.I put an otterbox also a nalgene bottle with a first aid kit and I also feel a whistle is important in case you get lost and others are looking for you ( in or out of the cave).I also carry a small snake bite kit with the first aid kit.I just go to Wall Mart and buy a small travel first aid kit and transfer it to my nalgene bottle.I have found that you need to replace most items in the first aid kit every couple of years even if it is unused and in a watertight bottle.I also carry water purification tablets as well with the first aid kit.I also carry extra boot laces in case they break and you are in muddy passage, since cave boots get wet and dry so much the laces do not last as long as normal.All of this stuff is small, light and compact and can fit in a nalgene bottle and stay dry.This stuff along with a regular water bottle will allow the lost creek pack to float.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Cody JW » Feb 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Something else I forgot to mention is a few household candles and a large trash bag to warm you up if you get cold.These items do not have to stay dry.Some people tape the trash bag to the inside top of their Ecrin.A multi tool is also a good idea, I use the cheap off brand ones.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby JR-Orion » Feb 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Here's another vote for some large trash bags. They're also great to throw all your muddy gear in after you're out of the cave.

Oh, and a towel. For wiping the mud off your face and out of your hair, so you don't look quite so scary on the drive home. :)
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 16, 2010 1:07 pm

Trash bags leak water. If you want to stow your gear to and from in the same container, goto walmart and buy a large plastic tub container. you can haul all your gear to the site in one container, and it will hold all of your muddy wet clothes without leaking water all over the place. It also wont rip in half when you pick it up.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby YuccaPatrol » Feb 16, 2010 3:18 pm

The heavy duty Rubbermaid "Action Packers" are super-durable plastic tubs. They are built strong like an outdoor garbage can and have nice locking lids. A bit more expensive than the cheap-o's but worth it in the long run. Look for them in the automotive department (near the towing accessories) at Wal-Mart.

Another "essential" for me is a large package of baby wipes kept in the truck. They are great for cleaning mud off of all sorts of places it ends up! :bananabat:
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum