Check High Leads with iPhone Controlled Helicopter

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Check High Leads with iPhone Controlled Helicopter

Postby BrianFrank » Dec 1, 2014 1:30 pm

My son has a decent drone with camera. The issue is weight. He has a GoPro on the drone, but without a high powered light the camera is ineffective in the dark. The weight of the light he needs in a cave is just too much for his drone. The other issue is if there is any error in flying the unit is probably ruined or lost in that upper passage. At least outside it can be controlled crashed, but in a cave with boulders and such that would not be the case. Outside his drone uses GPS to come back to his controller when there is a problem or when the battery runs low. In a cave there is no access to GPS:-) But, having said all this, I do agree, this can and will be a great tool with the right setup.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 1, 2014 5:36 pm

Brian, do you know what model he has?
Specs say a Gopro weighs 3.5 oz. With a cheap ReplayXD camera (2.1 oz. including battery) and a 480 lumen CR123Zebra, (1.16 oz. plus battery - 0.6 oz.) you've got 3.86 oz. I share your concerns about navigation, but I think that a drone could get that load into the air (of course mounting the stuff will add weight too). Whether it would give an adequate view is another question.

I'm also examining the old balloon idea, but buying expensive helium and dragging a tank through the cave aren't real attractive.
Last edited by GroundquestMSA on Dec 1, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Dec 1, 2014 6:01 pm

His unit is the DJI Phantom. I believe it has been replaced recently by a newer model. I was very impressed, it is simple to operate and if you let go of the controller levers it will stay in its exact location until you decide where you want it to go next. He paid around $600 a year ago.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 1, 2014 7:16 pm

The Mobius camera weighs 1.41 ounces, and costs less than $100 (Ebay $68 and free ship from Hong Kong... if you're brave) I don't know if that weight includes battery.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum