which gps unit?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

which gps unit?

Postby Kevenater » Oct 15, 2009 6:00 am

I'm about to buy a gps unit. I've been doing some research online and so far it seems that the garmin 60csx seems to be the best for the money. anybody got one or familiar with it? or any other recommendations. looking to spend $300 or so. thanks Oh and it'll mostly be used to mark caves i go to so I can find them easily next time and also for arrowhead hunting and also some fishing on a few lakes when I take my little 2 man boat instead of my bassboat.
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

Name: Keven Williams
NSS #: 46794

Re: which gps unit?

Postby batrotter » Oct 15, 2009 6:12 am

I have a Gramin GPS 60C. It is the color version minus the SD card slot, electronic compass and altimeter. I bought the US Topo maps to go with it. It works great.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby CaverScott » Oct 15, 2009 7:47 am

Kevenater wrote:I'm about to buy a gps unit. I've been doing some research online and so far it seems that the garmin 60csx seems to be the best for the money. anybody got one or familiar with it? or any other recommendations. looking to spend $300 or so. thanks Oh and it'll mostly be used to mark caves i go to so I can find them easily next time and also for arrowhead hunting and also some fishing on a few lakes when I take my little 2 man boat instead of my bassboat.

Great unit. Buy it.
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby Caverdale » Oct 15, 2009 9:05 am

If you are going boating you might consider the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx, which is identical to the 60CSx, except that it floats. I have one which was bought very lightly used for an incredibly low price. You can get free topo maps with 40 foot contours of the whole US. I have all of Utah and 3 adjacent states loaded on one 4 Gig card. Hard to beat for its other features, which will take months to learn and use.
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dale Green
NSS #: 3669FE, LB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Salt Lake Grotto

Postby Kevenater » Oct 16, 2009 4:05 am

I wonder if the 76csx picks up as good as the 60csx. that's one of the big pluses with the 60. It has the external antenna which from my experience with other things make alot of difference usually. It doesn't look quiet as strong built as the 60.... decisions decisions lol
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

Postby Kevenater » Oct 16, 2009 9:04 am

what about the delorme pn40? Seems to be more advanced than that 60csx and 76csx...has the ability to layer diff maps and arial photos. the only drawback is shorter batt. life which is no big deal. I'm probably gonna go with it after reading all night about it on forums and reviews. They also have unlimited map downloads for $30 a year. anybody familiar with it? My friend has it so I'll get to check it out on our arrowhead hunting trip this weekend
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

Postby trogman » Oct 16, 2009 9:09 am

I can tell you from experience that the 76CSX is a very good unit, and has great reception. I have gotten a fix inside my house and also inside my workplace, which is a large warehouse with 12" thich brick walls. I have not compared it to the 60CSX so I'm not sure if the 60 has better reception, although I understand the units are virtually identical in operation. I got a great deal on mine on Amazon for $270.

Stephen Brewer (The Trogman) :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby rchrds » Oct 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Also have a 60Csx- great unit, and the battery life is respectable as well. I looked seriously at the delorme unit for the ability to add maps, but the shortage of other features was not worth the addition. If I need aerials, I can run ArcPAD on my PDA, and have a bunch of other capabilities.
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby JoeyS » Oct 16, 2009 10:00 pm

rchrds wrote:...and have a bunch of other capabilities.

As your avatar suggests...

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum