Scurion

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Scurion

Postby Chris Chenier » Oct 27, 2009 11:58 am

jaa45993 wrote:I was impressed with the light output of the Scurion. It was brighter than my Sten and had more of a ceiling-burner type beam pattern. When I asked the guy how long the battery would last and he said, "Oh, 6-8 hours", I was no longer impressed.

That guy either likes lots of light or caves in huge passages! I got my Scurion (with two batteries) last year a few weeks before a 7-day trip into Lechuguilla (I got the "cheaper" P4 model, not the new insane ones). Not having a chance to test the light on a long trip beforehand, I use lower settings (but still providing plenty of light for getting around: wide angle at level 2) for a couple of days, but as the small power level LEDs were showing little decline in the battery, I increased it for the remainder of the week to level 3 wide angle. There was of course the occasional peak at having both LEDs at max. This was a survey trip and I was not on book, so there was lots of waiting around and turned off the lamp often or used the lowest setting (I really didn't want to run out of light before the end of the trip!). I should point out that Lech is not a very dark cave (OK, all caves are dark, but you know what I mean). That being said, I only switched to my second battery at the end of the 6th day. Needles to say I had plenty of light on the way out!

Since then, I've been using my Scurion at higher levels, not because I always need more light, but because it's just there waiting to be used! On an expedition to Mexico (there the walls were darker, and there's not much waiting around.), I would use the battery for 2 (long) caving days before bothering to charge it. I would have likely lasted a third day without problems and perhaps a 4th one in case of emergency.

Personally, I am more than satisfied with the battery life, but as anything else, mileage will vary...

I particularly like the wide angle light of the Scurion. The beam produced by other LED lights was what kept me using a ceiling burner until I got the Scurion.
Chris Chenier
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 48815

Re: Scurion

Postby potholer » Oct 27, 2009 12:06 pm

Wide beams do seem to be very popular where available.
Most people I know (and I) use a flood beam the majority of the time, maybe with a little spot mixed in.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum