Scurion - K

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Scurion - K

Postby Leclused » Jun 18, 2009 5:08 am

Just to let you know that there is a new version of the Scurion headlamp available :

http://www.scurion.ch/ms/index.php?Scurion-k

The scurion-k produces an amazing 1200lm at max. Ok that will blind everybody. The best improvement IMHO is the reduced power consumption on the lower output levels.

If we can believe the site then they are now producing the same output of the P4 version at max with 60% less power.

Br

dagobert (still very happy with a sten R70)
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Re: Scurion - K

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jun 18, 2009 5:13 pm

And a bargain at $883.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jun 18, 2009 6:12 pm

I am glad they were able to improve the efficiency. A group of us with Stenlights were caving with a Scurion caver last year. We were all real impressed with the light until he told us the battery lasted about 6-8 hours. Then we all felt better about our not-as-bright Stens that last for days.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Leclused » Jun 19, 2009 1:07 am

jaa45993 wrote:... until he told us the battery lasted about 6-8 hours. Then we all felt better about our not-as-bright Stens that last for days.

Then that must been a first generation of the scurion. In our club there is a member who also has Scurion and with 2 batteries he can easily do a 4 day expedition trip.

In the beginning of this year I bought my Sten R70 and I was choosing between the Sten, Scurion and Serv-Lite. I choose the Sten for the following reasons

- The Scurion is too big, the cable is coming out the lamp way to much to the front, the switch is too big and is not placed in the optimal postion,...
- Power consumption of the sten is better
- Price of the sten was lower.

BR

Dagobert
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Postby Tobias » Oct 21, 2009 9:44 am

Hi Dagobert,
you wrote
"The best improvement IMHO is the reduced power consumption on the lower output levels. If we can believe the site then they are now producing the same output of the P4 version at max with 60% less power."
I think this is unrealistic:
  • P4 U-Bin gives about 90..100 lm/W at 200mA
  • MC-E M-Bin gives about 120..130 lm/W at 50mA per die (200mA in parallel)
If you demand the same light output, this should save about 25% of power with MC-E M instead of P4 U. But 200mA is not really low output level. Unfortunately 50mA/die is the maximum power-efficiency of MC-E, that means, if you reduce the current below that, lm/mA decreases slightly; below 20mA even lm/W decreases (source: CPF).
Therefore I doubt this amount of power saving of up to 60%.
But if 60% is really correct, this may have two reasons:
  • They compare to older models which may have had P4 with much lower bins than U
    or
  • They have improved the driver now and have a not so efficient driver in their other model
Nevertheless, all actual models of Scurion are better than some posters try to make us beleave.
Reason: You always should compare the sensed (and/or measured) brightness at matching level of supply-power. With respect to this, always all actual models are better than older variants - and Scurion uses the best actual Bins as far as I know. But Scurion spreads the 'room light' over a very large angle, much wider than Stenlight for example. In such a case it's verry dificult to compare at all.
What is better: Very wide beam with lower intensity or higher intensity in a narrower beam?
Tobias
Tobias
Infrequent Poster

Name: Tobias Bossert

Return to Equipment Forum