Which brand/model GPS do you use??

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Which brand/model GPS do you use??

Postby NZcaver » Jun 23, 2009 1:15 pm

trogman wrote:I'm not sure what type of mapping you are interested in; yes, if you want the Garmin brand maps, you will have to part with some $, and probably a good bit of it. I assume you are interested in topo maps, since you are a caver. As I mentioned in my previous post, there are some really good topo maps that will load on most Garmin units, including the 60 and 76 series. They are available FREE at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/, and I can vouch for them being pretty decent maps.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the info on the free map downloads. I will follow up on that if/when I replace my trail GPS. Actually my gripe was about the cost of additional street maps for my vehicle GPS, specifically the City Navigator New Zealand NT map package currently priced at $149. I'm also at the point now where my GPS reminds me it needs it's map updated, but interestingly it doesn't say how much this will cost on the Garmin website. You have to start the update process by connecting to the GPS first. I recall somebody telling me the updates are $50 or so, but perhaps this is wrong and they really are free?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Re: Which brand/model GPS do you use??

Postby graveleye » Jun 23, 2009 2:47 pm

I just downloaded MotionX GPS for my iPhone. Seems to work pretty well, has topo and street maps and it was a whopping $2.99.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum