Suunto Repair

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Suunto Repair

Postby itabot » Jan 2, 2006 9:31 pm

There was a topic on the old discussion board about Suunto repair:

Donald Davis wrote:I have a Suunto Tandem survey instrument on which I have cracked the front of the plastic inclinometer capsule, letting the oil leak out. What are my options for getting this repaired? Are replacements for the instrument capsules obtainable?
--Donald Davis

Most replies said to contact Forestry Supply in Jackson, MS.
Any newer suggestions?
That was a year ago.
itabot
Frequent Poster

Postby itabot » Jan 3, 2006 10:00 am

:waving:
itabot
Frequent Poster

Suunto Calibration

Postby driggs » Jan 3, 2006 5:52 pm

[edit: updated info]
Last edited by driggs on Jan 13, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Repair

Postby Casper » Jan 6, 2006 10:14 am

I've sent a few instruments off the Foresty Supply to be repaired. Getting the single modles fixed ussually runs about $50.00 each. I asked about the tandom the last time I did this and they wouldn't give me straight answer on anything. I'm guessing either that model can not be repaired or it's more expensive than it is worth.

As for adjusting an instrument, there is a small screw under the red painted dot on the end of the single models. This screw needs to be loosened to remove the instrument capsule. I imagine for an adjustment you could loosen the screw and rotate the capsule tot he correct adjustment. Careful though, this is a lot harder said than done. Also make sure you have a second instrument that reads correctly to adjust it by. You make be able to send it into Forestry supply and have them do it for a price that is worth not having to pull your hair out over as well. Granted the only instruments I have taken apart have had busted or blue capsule and were unuseable before I started screwing with them.
Casper
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 52370

Postby lbartel » Jan 6, 2006 3:59 pm

I have a Suunto compass that contains a now blueish/greenish dampening liquid. The separate clino is just fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

- les
lbartel
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 32504

Re: Repair

Postby Dwight Livingston » Jan 6, 2006 4:47 pm

Casper wrote:I've sent a few instruments off the Foresty Supply to be repaired. Getting the single modles fixed ussually runs about $50.00 each.

This year I had them repair a cracked lens in a clino, and it cost $70 plus a couple for shipping.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Re: Repair

Postby itabot » Jan 6, 2006 8:46 pm

Anyone know of another place besides Forestry Supply? What about Suunto?
itabot
Frequent Poster

Repair

Postby Casper » Jan 7, 2006 2:04 pm

This year I had them repair a cracked lens in a clino, and it cost $70 plus a couple for shipping.

I had a cracked compas capsule replaced last spring, for the $50 including shipping. It's crazy prices jumped that much. Forestry Supply was the only place I could find that would be a repair when I was looking. Maybe someone else will have better luck finding another source.

I have a Suunto compass that contains a now blueish/greenish dampening liquid. The separate clino is just fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

For a few years Suunto used a dampening liquid that is prone to blue with age. I forget the time frame at the moment. I believe they have since switched from it on the newer models. Technically there is nothing wrong with the accuracy of the instrument, the color change may render it difficult to read however. When it gets totally unreadable or to the point it's driving you batty everytime you try to use it get the capsule replaced and it will be as good as new. Granted the prices are apparently going up but it's still better than shelling money out for a new one. Aren't they up to about $200 now?
Casper
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 52370

Postby NZcaver » Jan 7, 2006 8:31 pm

FYI - Suunto Tandem's show up all the time on eBay. They usually go for around $100 or less - even the brand new and near-new ones. Satellite TV installers use them, so they're usually in good shape (compared to caving ones). :wink:

My Suunto Twin (similar to the Tandem) cost $100 new on eBay a couple of years ago, and it works great. If you don't mind going the same way, you should be able to save about half of the $210 retail price.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Re: Suunto Repair

Postby driggs » Jan 13, 2009 2:16 pm

I called Ben Meadows repair service (1-800-241-6401 x5221) to inquire about repairing my cracked Suunto Tandem on 2009-01-13, and here's the information I was given:

* $66.95 + shipping: Clino repair, for both single Suunto or Tandem

* $56.95 + shipping: Compass repair, for both single Suunto or Tandem

Mail instrument to the following address, be sure to include your name, telephone, and return address. You will be mailed your newly repaired and recalibrated instrument and sent an invoice. I was not given an estimated turnaround time.

Ben Meadows Company
attn. Repairs Dept
401 South Wright Rd
Janesville, WI 53546

(Disclaimer: you should call yourself to confirm price and shipping address, I'm posting for reference only)
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Jan 13, 2009 6:22 pm

I think you are talking about module replacement, not repair.

I used to repair damaged modules myself, using a soldering gun, then replaced lost fluid with a syringe thru a hole made with a heated pin. The fluid came from another crippled unit. The patches tended to be brittle though and didn't always work - fluid in the crack would prevent it from being resealed - and we just buy new units now. But you have nothing to lose by trying. The technique was reported in Compass and Tape and The Canadian Caver years ago.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby Bob Thrun » Jan 14, 2009 5:05 am

The two companies in the US that repair Suunto compasses are Forestry Suppliers and Ben Meadows. I posted the repair prices from their 2007 catalogs in the Survey and Cartography forum on Dec. 6, 2007. This was just before they were about to issue new 2008 catalogs. The repair prices were within a dollar of each other. Thr two companies can also repair Brunton instruments, as can the Brunton Company.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby driggs » Jan 27, 2009 2:27 pm

driggs wrote:Mail instrument to the following address, be sure to include your name, telephone, and return address. You will be mailed your newly repaired and recalibrated instrument and sent an invoice. I was not given an estimated turnaround time.

Ben Meadows Company
attn. Repairs Dept
401 South Wright Rd
Janesville, WI 53546

I shipped my Tandem out via UPS Ground from West Virginia on Thur Jan 15, and it arrived Mon Jan 26; that's 11 days (7 business days) turnaround.

Clino module was replaced with a brand new one, along with the cosine table on the back; otherwise, it came back just as I sent it, mud and all. I have yet to compare its reading to another calibrated instrument for accuracy.

The best part is that it arrived without an invoice! :shhh:
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby driggs » Sep 21, 2015 12:12 pm

driggs wrote:I called Ben Meadows repair service (1-800-241-6401 x5221) to inquire about repairing my cracked Suunto Tandem on 2009-01-13, and here's the information I was given:

* $66.95 + shipping: Clino repair, for both single Suunto or Tandem

* $56.95 + shipping: Compass repair, for both single Suunto or Tandem

Mail instrument to the following address, be sure to include your name, telephone, and return address. You will be mailed your newly repaired and recalibrated instrument and sent an invoice. I was not given an estimated turnaround time.

Ben Meadows Company
attn. Repairs Dept
401 South Wright Rd
Janesville, WI 53546

Update as of 2015-09-21:

Ben Meadows will still happily provide Suunto module replacement service for Tandems and individual Compass/Clino. Current prices are:

* $64.95 for a compass module
* $83.95 for a clino module (ouch!)
* flat $5 shipping no matter how many instruments you send them

Contact, shipping, and invoicing info are still the same. They told me that the module replacement price is their cost from Suunto for the modules; they perform the service at cost simply for the benefit of their customers. Be sure to consider Ben Meadows when buying "forestry" type equipment!
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Dang. I really hate it, but it's still cheaper to buy a used one on eBay.

Of course, it's ever cheaper to prevent cracked capsules. http://www.swaygogear.com/sight-light-shields/
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Next

Return to Equipment Forum