The Ideal Cave Suit for TAG

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Ideal Cave Suit for TAG

Postby ron_miller » Feb 25, 2009 11:39 pm

Although I certainly have had far less experience in TAG caves than many of the posters on this site, I would suggest that there's no such thing as an "ideal cave suit for TAG", even for a given caver, unless you always do the same kind of caving. My personal experience based on a couple of years of active TAG caving (YMMV, of course) is that different types of caving in TAG require different clothing strategies.

If I'm going sport caving in a relatively dry cave in TAG, I'll be moving at a steady clip most of the time. In this type of caving, I would completely agree with several other posters that nylon coveralls are usually too hot for TAG - the shorts-over-polypro solution works much better. But if I'm going to be spending hours surveying in a TAG cave, I won't be moving very fast most of the time, so depending on how long the trip to the survey starting point is, how wet it will be, and how long I'll be surveying, I'll either stick with the shorts-over-polypro but bring along an extra polypro shirt and a balaclava, or I'll wear my nylon-based coveralls. My coveralls are Meander Helix-based coveralls that Howie's Harnesses upgraded by adding "Shazam" fabric (reportedly body bag material, but "Shazam" makes for so much better sales copy!) over the major wear areas. In really wet caves, where much of my body will be in water a significant amount of the time, I'll either wear two layers of polypro or a wetsuit under my coveralls; I haven't forked out the dough yet for the PVC coveralls that are reportedly ideal for really wet caving, but plan to do so in the near future.
ron_miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Feb 26, 2009 9:57 am

Chads93GT wrote:
junkman wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:Does anyone make a pair of caving pants, like the caving suits, but only..................pants??? When caving I sweat like mad, but im usually in a wetsuit cave, and I need a protective layer over my wetsuit. I like my pants to be fairly tight to reduce snagging, and the ability to get through tight chest compressors, without my ass snagging on something.

Id like to get a cave suit, but I think I would die from spontaneous combustion. :banana:

B&C Wunderwear, Inc makes just pants. They are made out of the same material as coveralls.

Thanks! I googled the company and found a company website, and EVERY link on the page was broken. It was mostly text "describing" what they have for products, but no pictures, no nothing. How is a company supposed to sell their product if they don't even have a website that works lol. so frustrating. Oh well.

Have you looked at dirt bike pants? The pair I have has built in pads and made with kevlar in all the right places. Very comfortable.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 26, 2009 1:12 pm

Coincidently enough I use elbow/forearm and knee/shin from the mountain bike/motocross company sixsixone ;) Never thought about pants. What brand do you use?
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lava » Feb 26, 2009 11:59 pm

ron_miller wrote:Although I certainly have had far less experience in TAG caves than many of the posters on this site, I would suggest that there's no such thing as an "ideal cave suit for TAG", even for a given caver, unless you always do the same kind of caving. My personal experience based on a couple of years of active TAG caving (YMMV, of course) is that different types of caving in TAG require different clothing strategies.

If I'm going sport caving in a relatively dry cave in TAG, I'll be moving at a steady clip most of the time. In this type of caving, I would completely agree with several other posters that nylon coveralls are usually too hot for TAG - the shorts-over-polypro solution works much better. But if I'm going to be spending hours surveying in a TAG cave, I won't be moving very fast most of the time, so depending on how long the trip to the survey starting point is, how wet it will be, and how long I'll be surveying, I'll either stick with the shorts-over-polypro but bring along an extra polypro shirt and a balaclava, or I'll wear my nylon-based coveralls. My coveralls are Meander Helix-based coveralls that Howie's Harnesses upgraded by adding "Shazam" fabric (reportedly body bag material, but "Shazam" makes for so much better sales copy!) over the major wear areas. In really wet caves, where much of my body will be in water a significant amount of the time, I'll either wear two layers of polypro or a wetsuit under my coveralls; I haven't forked out the dough yet for the PVC coveralls that are reportedly ideal for really wet caving, but plan to do so in the near future.

Ron... when I think of TAG caving, surveying does not come to mind! :laughing:

But yeah, if we're talking about surveying, it's a whole different clothing ballgame.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby mgmills » Mar 1, 2009 8:24 pm

Chads93GT wrote:wonder if she will be at the mvor this year ;)

I know she is usually at SERA Cave Carnival and TAG Fall Cave-In. Pants are pricy but I love mine. I'm on my second pair. First pair lasted ~5 years (with a couple of repairs/patches).

Here is a picture of me in mine. . . notice the sleeveless shirt I'm wearing in a warm cave. . . in spite of the bridge this is not a commercial cave. . . it is Blue Spring Cave, TN

I usually wear a sleeveless "wicking" shirt but carry a polypro long sleeve shirt in my pack. If I'm just going "pit bouncing" I usually wear shorts over polypro pants. I used to wear the shorts over poly all the time but have found if I'm doing much crawling I'm more comfortable in the long pants.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Mark620 » Mar 7, 2009 12:09 am

B&C Wunderwear
Cecile James
615-315-97 77
"People who really believe that global warming leads us to a doomsday should be treated as mentally ill." Quote : Luboš Motl
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Postby Dangerjudy » Mar 10, 2009 6:55 pm

In addition to pants B&C Wunderwear makes shorts and bibs. I have all three and will choose what to wear according to what kind of cave I'm going to visit. I think they're worth every penny. The material they are made from is very durable, and great in muddy caves... like the shorts in this photo...

and the bibs in this photo:
Those bibs are blue btw and that was in 2005 and I still wear them!
:rofl:
Birmingham Grotto, NSS 49720. "I reserve the right to be ridiculous." bono
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49720
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Postby tncaver » Mar 10, 2009 7:32 pm

Dangerjudy wrote:Those bibs are blue btw and that was in 2005 and I still wear them!
:rofl:

Be sure to bleach them between cave trips Dangerjudy.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dangerjudy » Mar 10, 2009 8:10 pm

Worry not; I will tend to my gear appropriately to protect the bats. :bananabat:
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Judy, the first pic, looks like you are wearing sixsixone elbow/forearm guards for mountain biking...............I have the same ones, provided thats what they are. mine are almost shot. used them on 30 trips now and they are starting to fall apart.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dangerjudy » Mar 11, 2009 8:27 am

Yes they are six-six-one elbow pads. They are 5-6 years old. Mine are holding up great, which makes me think that you cave more than I do, and in harder caves than I do. I think they were $17? Once I started caving with elbow pads, I knew I would always do so... I love them. :kewl:
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 11, 2009 8:39 am

I think on average, on every trip ive done since june, I have had to crawl at least 1000 feet per trip, so yes they have taken a beating. one of the hard plastic "pads" in the elbow fell out a couple trips ago and I didnt even know it. I am going to try to repair them, but the mesh fabric on the front that makes them breathable for biking, its completely ripping out. Major bummer. I will probably just have to buy another set. Figured I was the only person who decided to use my mountain biking gear for caving :bananabat:
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dangerjudy » Mar 11, 2009 8:52 am

In response to the OP btw I do think a full cave suit would be too hot in TAG. The bibs are nice because they are just straps and a front panel on your torso and full pants below. The front closes with heavy duty velcroesque stuff and this makes it easy to get out of the bibs to pee (yes this is a feature for ladies). Also you can slip the shoulder straps off and stuff them in the bibs and pretty much be wearing pants.
I have worn out a seam on the butt of the bibs and repaired it with dental floss. It's fine, should probably get her to sew it back properly at a caving event but it's lasted 2 years like this.
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Mar 11, 2009 9:29 am

My better half bought a bib from someone up at the Cave-In last year and she really likes it. I'm thinking about getting one myself.

I bought Meander cave coveralls and boy they are hot. I tried it out in a cave a couple of weeks ago and wound up taking off my shirt because it was just too hot. But it sure was nice and toasty for when I got out of the cave back into the winter air.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Billy » Mar 11, 2009 10:16 am

but the mesh fabric on the front that makes them breathable for biking, its completely ripping out. Major bummer. I will probably just have to buy another set. Figured I was the only person who decided to use my mountain biking gear for caving

Sorry for the OT post.
I swear by my sixsixone knee guards - besides the protection, they also give my bad knees a little exoskeleton boost! But the breathable fabric ripping out got me too, so for my used second and new third pair (like I said, I like 'em) I put an 'iron-on' patch over the segmented knee (the only bad wear spot) and aquasealed it afterwards. So far, it's taken a beating with no significant wear other than aquaseal scuffing.
Billy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 53221
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum