bearing arms in caves

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Have you ever carried a gun in a cave?

Yes, I always do.
4%
Yes, I carry occasionally while caving.
12%
I did so once, but it was due to unusual circumstances.
7%
Nope.
77%

Total votes : 122

Re: bearing arms in caves

Postby graveleye » Jan 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Glock torture test.

They're more durable than one would imagine. I don't have one since I'm rather enamored with Rugers, but I'll probably own one one of these days.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Re: Tall tale?

Postby batrotter » Jan 22, 2011 7:03 pm

commanderzoom wrote:How does that even work? I wouldn't think there would be enough ventilation in caves for the offgassing. Do they also find a lot of dead meth cooks in there?

It does not have to be "in" the cave, only near the entrance. Plenty of ventilation.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 23, 2011 2:47 pm

We now have cougar in Indiana too. But its the dang Vultures that crawl into the crawlway after you that I'd carry for!
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby YuccaPatrol » Jan 24, 2011 9:50 am

A slingshot works just as well for picking off bats and soda straws and is much more stealthy when you are caving with those "Take only pictures, leave only footsteps" types. . . . :yikes:

not to mention more space in my pack for thousands of feet of string and spraypaint
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 24, 2011 2:34 pm

YuccaPatrol wrote:A slingshot works just as well for picking off bats and soda straws and is much more stealthy when you are caving with those "Take only pictures, leave only footsteps" types. . . . :yikes:

not to mention more space in my pack for thousands of feet of string and spraypaint

:sadbanana: :sadbanana: :sadbanana:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby commanderzoom » Jan 25, 2011 5:39 am

batrotter wrote:
commanderzoom wrote:How does that even work? I wouldn't think there would be enough ventilation in caves for the offgassing. Do they also find a lot of dead meth cooks in there?

It does not have to be "in" the cave, only near the entrance. Plenty of ventilation.

Oh. Well damn. Now I'm going to be worried about idiots cooking up dope in the cave entrances around here & hurting all the little critters :down:.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Postby KD5NRH » Jan 30, 2011 5:48 am

NZcaver wrote:You're concerned a slide might come back in your face, even though it's never yet happened?

Never?
KD5NRH
Occasional Poster

Postby KD5NRH » Jan 30, 2011 5:49 am

If moonshiners could work out solutions, I'm sure meth cooks can.
KD5NRH
Occasional Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jan 30, 2011 5:54 pm

KD5NRH wrote:Never?

Interesting. Here's my comment again, in context:

Jon wrote:Here in AZ NO plastic lasts for guano. Just what I want plastic or nylon giving out so I can have a slide come back in my face. I know no case of that yet, but if I'm gonna spend that kind of money it better be ready to serve me 20 years from now.

NZcaver wrote:You're concerned a slide might come back in your face, even though it's never yet happened?

I'd be interested to read more about this dismembered Glock, especially if it was a case of the nylon giving out and the slide coming back in somebody's face. Feel free to post a link to the relevant article/discussion, or you can PM me so we don't wander even further off topic.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Jon » Jan 31, 2011 2:05 am

NZ,
I know I worry too much but for me the photo shown is what I worry about. You know Nasa never had a shuttle blow up on launch or burn up on reentry. There is always a first time. That's a first I don't want. Now I don't know what caused said failure was it bonding separation, or what but I do know that the brand name in question has no warrenty if reloads are used. I know lawsuits and all but....Anyway if I wasn't outdoors in the sun and the heat as much with the product as I am, and if I were getting a new model every couple of years and if I could afford to buy factory ammo in the amounts I like to burn up I might consider one. Till then make mine metal.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby NZcaver » Jan 31, 2011 3:19 am

Jon wrote:Now I don't know what caused said failure was it bonding separation, or what but I do know that the brand name in question has no warrenty if reloads are used.

FYI - Glock is not the only handgun manufacturer who says the use of reloads will void the warranty. And if you do a Google image search, you'll find almost every type of handgun has examples of dramatic failures like that. :shhh:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Jon » Feb 1, 2011 1:27 am

I know many wont deal with reloads but still.... and yes I know of failures. Matter of fact been there done that Had some reloads from a local guru years ago not supposed to be hot but surely double loaded. Blew the chamber out of a Colt gov model. actually the brass showed signs of the break 4 rounds before it let go. All that happened was I lost a barrel. Thankfully I had metal lined pachmire grips rather than wood or the pressure dump into the then empty mag well would have caused me some injury. Now I have seen blown up revolvers in photos, and blown up all metal pistols but I haven't till now seen a metal frame come apart like that. Fortunately we live in a country where you can choose plastic or metal guns. Personally I just don't trust the plastic fantastics.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby Downundercaver » Feb 14, 2011 11:06 am

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:
ek wrote:I am particularly interested in knowing if anyone outside the United States carries while caving.

Nope I don't, and I've never known anyone in Australia who has, in fact I don't think they even considered it, most Australians don't own a gun and if they do the by law (with a few exceptions) it's a rifle or shotgun not the sort of thing you'd take into a cave.
Pretty much for me there's no reason to carry outside a cave and there's even less once you enter the cave.

Up in N.T. Australia there is a cave called bullet hole or something, my mum visited it and said that back in world war 2, soldiers would go in with rifles. Aim them at the walls of the cave and shoot them so as they would go deaf. That way they wouldn't have to return to active duty. There is evidence of this (bullet holes in the cave walls)
Downundercaver
Frequent Poster

Name: Ben Mcalpine

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Here's the answer -- a light and nifty firearm in one small package! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99NHb6B03s
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS